cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 server reports error or crashes when backing up Exchange 2007 using GRT

hvid
Level 2

Current mail server configuration is Windows 2008 SP2 x64 running Exchange 2007 SP2
Current BE12.5 server configuration is Windows 2003 SP2 x32 running BE 12.5 SP3 with all the latest hotfixes. All windows servers have newest security updates and patches.

BE server has Exchange 2007 SP2 Management Tools installed
Exchange server has newest Mapi and the Collaboration Data Object package installed

In short I have done everything that is recommended in Best Practice for BE12.5 agent form MS Exchange Server.

Now down to the problem.

When using GRT to do Exchange 2007 information store backup BE server either crashes (BSOD 0x0000007e error) or in most cases reports Job fails with the following error:

0xe00084f9 - A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent.

Backup- \\mailsrv.domain.local\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group
V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options for the following reason: VFF Open Failure.  This can be caused by low memory or disk resources.

I have enough disk space on both servers. I even connected additional disk and made BE use it for GRT backups (BE – Tools- Options – Backup – Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) set to use new disk for temporary data)

I even completely reinstalled BE and installed it again with the current SP and hotfixes. Created new jobs and be hold… Nothing… The same error all over again…

But if I use backup of Exchange IS without the darn GRT everything goes fine… cup cake fine. Unfortunately I really need GRT so I can restore specific mail messages if needed.

I read the forums but didn’t come across anything that could assist me in my problem.

So any new light on this would be much appreciated.  

Thanx !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

hvid
Level 2
Ok,
I had to run through all the backups sets to make sure everything works.

Bottom line, the solution to my problem was somewhat simple.

Installing Windows 2008.

If you are running Exchange 2007 on a Windows 2008 server you also have to have Backup Exec media server running on Windows 2008 server. There is no way you can run a Backup Exec server from 2003 machine and do Windows 2008 installed Exchange 2007 IS backups. There will always be an error in communication because there are differences in tcpip.sys stack and beremote.exe between Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 architecture which is the cause of failed Exchange backups.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

The above error is generated if the version of  Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Management Tools on the Backup Exec Media server and the Exchange server is different.

Check beremote.exe version on both servers. If not update remote agent.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is a generic error message that is normally caused by resource issues on the Media Server (i.e memory, paging file, and drive space). This error would generally only occur when running GRT backups, as media server would require some resources to mount the database and build granular information.

Some suggestions:
Increase page file size or try changing its location on the media server.
You may want to check following document:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304101

Check for any events in the event logs on the exchange server during the backup. Has it worked before? Check any changes on the server, since it stopped working. The message you have provided, shows it happening on second storage group, any difference with other storage groups or another exchange server?

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You may want to try following document, if it has recently stopped working:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/320008

hvid
Level 2

Hello,

@Dev T
As per Symantec’s Best Practice for Exchange I have check that Exchange Management Tools as well as beremote.exe are exactly the same version on both servers.

@BEsymc
I have run Exchange 2003 IS backup for 2 years on the same server with no errors. Also there are other backup jobs that run smoothly only new Exchange 2007 IS backup fails. Additionally I rearranged backup schedule so none of the other backup overlap with exchange backup so the Exchange 2007 IS backup runs solo, with no concurrent backup jobs running alongside it.
 The thing that changed is Exchange migration from 2003 to 2007.
I have reinstalled BE Media server after we migrated to new Exchange 2007 and made new backup jobs for Exchange backup.
It seems that the error only appears on Second Storage group which holds Public Folder DB.

Funny thing is that in the Job I DID NOT select Second Storage to be backed up only the First Storage.

As I reinstalled the complete BE Media server including licenses I think that resolution from Symantec is checked and KB applies to Windows server 2003, Exchange is installed on Windows 2008 x64.

Only left to try is increasing page file size, will check back in.

Thanks!

hvid
Level 2

Hi,

I applied both memory registry entries for pagepool size and poolusage maximum.

Backup of Exhchange just crashed with the same error as above. So no changes here.
Will try another reboot of both servers....

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Uninstall and reinstall the BacSymantec kup Exec Licenses:

1  : Go to tools-->Install options License-->Select the Licenses one by one and remove it. (DO NOT FORGET TO WRITE DOWN THE LICENSES BEFORE REMOVING THEM)
2  : Backup Exec will run in 60 days evaluation mode.
3  : Add all the Licenses again.

Hope this helps...

Dev_T
Level 6
any news????

hvid
Level 2
Ok,
I had to run through all the backups sets to make sure everything works.

Bottom line, the solution to my problem was somewhat simple.

Installing Windows 2008.

If you are running Exchange 2007 on a Windows 2008 server you also have to have Backup Exec media server running on Windows 2008 server. There is no way you can run a Backup Exec server from 2003 machine and do Windows 2008 installed Exchange 2007 IS backups. There will always be an error in communication because there are differences in tcpip.sys stack and beremote.exe between Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 architecture which is the cause of failed Exchange backups.