cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 to 2010 update - FAILS on SQL Express install

all2surreal
Level 4

Hi.  I tried to update from 12.5. to 2010 today only to see it fail during the SQL Express part of the installation.
I've browsed all over the Symantec Knowledge base and through Symantec Connect.  I've found their documents but nothing helped.
Please would you look at the attachments; they are of log files afte the install fails.

Thanks, Adam

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

I got around this on the odd occasion by upgrading to the latest SQL version that ships with Backup Exec 2010, and then running the upgrade again.
However, read the article below...make sure you have copiesof your Data/Catalogs folders before doing anything and I would suggest stopping your AV during the upgrade process too. I have seen it corrupt my SQL upgrade, causing me to lose all my backup data.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/what-look-out-when-upgrading-bews-2010my-experiences

Laters!

all2surreal
Level 4
I've been working with two other guys since 8:30am and we've been unsuccessfull in getting this update installed all day!
I ran the SQLExpress.exe off of the install DVD and it completed successfully.  I actually found that hint posted by you already earlier today.  Though, the install still failed.
Finally, I decided to build a VM in our ESXi server with the exact same OS, which is Windows Server 2003R2 Standard x64.  I'm going to install BEWS 12.5 and then try the 2010 update.
I'll keep you posted.  Please post any help though.
Thanks. 

CraigV
Well, in my case SQL failed because McAfee blocked something along the way. I couldn't prove it, but when McAfee was disabled, I never got the issue again. Weird...

all2surreal
Level 4
I have Trend Micro.  It has been disabled prior to the update.  Still not working.

CraigV
OK...then try stopping ALL your Backup Exec services, and also the SQL instance BKUPEXEC...

CraigV
Hi,

Did you ever come right here?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Solution #1

1) Install SQL 2005 SP3 explicitly on your Backup Exec server. While installing SQL uncheck " Hide advanced configuration option"

2) During installation you will get an option to give a name to the SQL instance, name it as "BKUPEXEC2010"

3) Once the installation completes successfully, check if the SQL service with the name as " SQL Server BKUPEXEC2010" is listed in windows services console. If the service is started then proceed with the next step

4) Move the BE database from the existing SQL instance to the new SQL instance, refer to http://support.veritas.com/docs/351948

) Once the database is moved to the new instance, run the installation of BE2010.

6) In the installation wizard you will not see the SQL installation as we have already installed it manually.

Solution #2

Refer to http://support.veritas.com/docs/312651, not sure if it works in case of BE2010 as its applicable to BE12.5.