cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 w/ ReadyNAS Pro 4

Scamby
Level 3

I apologize if this has been asked previously but I couldn't find an exact match.  We have 2 servers (Win 2008 R2 and Win 2003) running Backup Exec 12.5 with agents for remote server, Exchange and SQL.  Both servers had tape drives that had begun to fail periodically.  We decided to transition to a NAS and decided on a ReadyNAS Pro 4.  We usually did a full backup to tape on Fridays from all servers and backed up any changes the other days.  Going forward what would be the best backup strategy;

1. continue what we were doing with the device changing from tape to the NAS

2. breakup the full backups into multiple days where some servers are done on one day and others on other days (sort of a rotating schedule)

3. should I use both servers or do everything on the one running Win 2008 R2

Also, what is the best way to set up the NAS as a backup device?  Should I follow this - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12265 or do something different?  I wasn't sure what was the best AOFO to use or how best to backup Exchange and SQL data with the NAS.  Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

We have 2 servers (Win 2008 R2 and Win 2003) running Backup Exec 12.5 with agents for remote server, Exchange and SQL. 

Did you load BE 12.5 on the Win 2008 R2 machine or load the remote agent on it?  If it is the former, this is not supported.  See the SCL below

BE 12.5 Software (SCL)

If you are running BE 12.5 on your Win 2008 R2 machine, then you should stop and run everything from your Win 2003 machine.  You will need a RAWS licence to load the remote agent on the Win 2008 R2 machine.

If you want to run everything on your Win 2008 R2 machine, then you would need to upgrade to either BE 2010 or BE 2012.  If you have a current maintenance contract, you can upgrade for free.  You would need a new set of licencing keys.

The way to configure a B2D folder on your device as shown in the document you referenced is fine.

As for your other backup scheduling questions, there is no right or wrong answers.  You should go by what's best for your environment.