cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5d Backup-to-Disk-To-Tape - Restore from tape

conne
Level 2
Hi,

During the night I do a backup-to-disk of a few servers, all in their own Backup-to-Disk folder, one Media Set, which allows overwriting after one day (so I keep 2 sets of every server).
Then during the day, I back these Backup-to-Disk folders up to tape (.bkf files directly to tape), differentially, after modifying the attributes with a script, so it only backs up the latest set.
Now, I can do a restore of these Backup-to-Disk files, but how do I restore the files actually inside the Backup-to-Disk files?
I tried restoring to a new Backup-to-Disk folder, but Backup Exec appears to recognize the media files, as the ones that are already actually on disk (they have the same name of course, as I overwrite them), when I do an inventory of this new Backup-to-Disk folder with the restored files, they dissappear in the actual Backup-to-Disk folder, and appear in the new Backup-to-Disk folder I use to restore.
So, I cannot restore from these backup-to-disk files, as it does not recognize them as the older files (and also they are not catalogged).
Is there a way to accomplish this? Or do I need to do the backup to tape differently? I tried moving the media to a vault (thought this would help), but it doesn't appear to work.

Many thanks for your help & kind regards,

Koenraad. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Then during the day, I back these Backup-to-Disk folders up to tape (.bkf files directly to tape), differentially, after modifying the attributes with a script, so it only backs up the latest set.

If you do a DUPLICATE (D2D2T), then you can restore directly from tape (except GRT backups , of course)

You can either do this manually, or use the template provided by Symantec to do the DUPLICATE as soon as the B2D completes

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you do a DUPLICATE (D2D2T), then you can restore directly from tape (except GRT backups , of course)

You can either do this manually, or use the template provided by Symantec to do the DUPLICATE as soon as the B2D completes

conne
Level 2
Hi,

Thanks for your rerply.
Some questions:
If I do this manually, then I need to create a Duplicate Backup job for every server I backup to disk?
Can I let these Duplicate jobs run as soon as all backup-to-disk jobs complete, or is it directly done after the job finishes?
The things being backed up like this, are not coming directly from the server, but rather from the backup-to-disk files (I don't want to stress the servers when doing the backups to tape)?

Thanks for your help.

Koenraad.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You may check following documents for creating duplicate backup job:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/256096
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255866

Using this method, you can have the duplicate job run immediately after the original job. You may also want to use policy to create duplicate backup, as mentioned in following document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/299212

Duplicate backup job will fetch the data from backup to disk folder, without affecting the original source. So, during the duplicate backup, clients will not be affected.

conne
Level 2
Thanks, this works like a charm!