Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 - SQL Transaction Log Backup Question

rmc-system
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

at I want to you for taking your time to read my post!

Let me descibe my environment:

Backup Server:

Windows Server 2003 running Backup Exec 12 with all available live-updates applied (yes I know, not the latest version but it works for our customer)

SQL Server:

Windows Server 2003 running SQL Server 2005, database in full recovery mode

The SQL server is hosting a business critical application for my customer. I've scheduled a full backup of the database every night and a SQL transaction log backup every 2 hours from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. The log backup job is configured to do a physical consistency check which seems to cause problems as the database grows.
Usually the backup + consistency check takes around 10 minutes to complete, some times it takes up to 45 minutes.
Within the last days, my customer alerted me that they experience very poor performance in their application while the logs are backed up.

During troubleshooting I found out that this behaviour seems to be caused by the consistency check of the logs, because when I disable the option to check the consistency the backup is done in about 1 minute and no one really remarks that there is something happening to the server (good! ;)  )

Now my question is:
I would like to set up the job so that it does not check the consistency of the logs during business hours (6am to 6pm) instead I would like to tell Backup Exec that it should check the consistency with an additional log backup job at 8pm.
Can anyone tell me if its possible to set up a job like this? 

If not, can anyone tell me if it will work like this:
Usual log backup job from 6am to 6pm without consistency check. Set up an additional log backup job scheduled to 8pm which then checks the consistency.

I hope you can follow my explaination - please let me know if not :D

Thank you in advance and best regards!

2 REPLIES 2

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

RMC, 

Unfortunately there is no way to schedule out the consistency check as your running full/incremental you should be able to run the full job with the consistency check enabled and the incrementals jobs with them disabled. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Usual log backup job from 6am to 6pm without consistency check. Set up an additional log backup job scheduled to 8pm which then checks the consistency.

Yes. You should do it this way.