cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 for Windows Servers failed

trinhthimai_ngu
Level 2

Hi everybody.

Our company use Symantec Backup Exec 12 for Windows Servers we set backup job for monthly. This job we used for backup System Drive, shadow and system state. As usual this job run well but on March 01 2009 it generate error I restarted server and try backup again it is still not success

I read log it has error and exception with below.

error:

Backup- OVNC-FS-SRV
V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: ... VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider selected return...

Exception.

Backup- C: System
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\NTUSER.DAT - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\ntuser.dat.LOG - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Micr...
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Micr...
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\1\mmc10706C70.xm...
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Micro...
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Micro...
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Mic...
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Mic...
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\ovncbackup\NTUSER.DAT - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\ovncbackup\ntuser.dat.LOG - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\ovncbackup\Local Settings\Application Data\Microso...
Unable to open the item C:\Documents and Settings\ovncbackup\Local Settings\Application Data\Microso...

Please help me to solve this problem

6 REPLIES 6

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Check the event logs on OVNC-FS-SRV for any VSS errors in the event logs.  Try to make a snapshot of the volume manually using VSS to see if you encounter the same issue. 

MitchR
Level 6

Looks like the System State part of the backup failed.

We see that once in a while - sometimes is clears itself up, sometimes a reboot of the server you're backing up is needed.

I haven't found a root cause yet, other than VSS snapshots are part of the System State backup process.  If you don't need it, de-select System State.

Anyone else have a greater understanding of this one?

marcogsp
Level 6

I know you specified that the job is backing up the system drive, shadow and system state, but are there any MSSQL instances on this server?  I had a VSS conflict (with similar error message at the top of your post)  with BEWS 12 and MSSQL 2000 SP3.  Updating the SQL instances to SP4 cleared up the problem.

Stumpr2
Level 6

I'm not sure why you cross-posted to NetBackup. Do you have a NetBackup concern too?

trinhthimai_ngu
Level 2

This job was created from Oct 2008 and run monthly I run good from Oct 2008 to Jan 2009 but on Feb 2009 it can not run well although we have not changed any information in the setting.

We try restart server but it still can not success.

After that we try by change item selections from copy local to copy through domain. It runs good after this changing.

I think this is not root cause because it is used to work well as before.

Please help us to find the root cause.

Thanks and best regards

trinhthimai_ngu
Level 2

I know you specified that the job is backing up the system drive, shadow and system state, but are there any MSSQL instances on this server?  I had a VSS conflict (with similar error message at the top of your post)  with BEWS 12 and MSSQL 2000 SP3.  Updating the SQL instances to SP4 cleared up the problem.

We don't use any other MSSQL instance on this server