cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 not using new media

chiggins1066
Level 2
I am running Backup Exec 12 on Windows 2003. It is connected to a MSL 2024 HP Jukebox.

After several of my tapes got full, I replaced them with new WORM tapes. I labeled the tapes physically, slapped them in the drive, and imported them one by one. I then associated them with my existing tape set.

The tapes show up with the correct numbers and with an overwrite protection of "infinite."

When I run backups, however, the server is not using this new media. I get failures like "the operation failed t acquire the minimum number of drives and media required." It is only using the old tapes that are not quite full yet.

Am I missing something here?
4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Go too:

Tools --> Options --> Media Management

Under Media Management (first section of the tab), deselect the option to "Prompt before overwriting imported media".

This should do the trick.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In addition to Craig's selection, you could also just label the new tapes, then leave them in the Scratch media set and let BackupExec move them to the correct media set when they are used

The reason this is happening is that when you move the new tapes to the productionb media set, they take on all properties of that set as of the move, including OPP and APP.  This means that if the OPP is two weeks, BackupExec will not write to them for another 15 days

chiggins1066
Level 2
hmmm... Backup Exec will not let me move the new tapes into scratch media. I right click on the tape and select "associate ..."
 but I never see the tape show up in the scratch catagory.

I ran another backup last night, but Backup Exec didn't touch any of the new tapes. When it tried to back up a server and could find no available space, the entire backup server went down with a blue screen!

not good

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
You cannot move WORM tapes into "scratch" since that is illogical.  You could try creating a new media set with the bare minimum of overwrite protection and infinite overwrite protection, then let the backup job pull the tapes from that new media set into the desired media set.

If the old jobs are still using your old media, it soulnds like you haven't checked the box in the job configuration that tells the job to use WORM media.  I job cannot run to WORM or non-WORM media as that is illogical, it has to be one or the other, hence the checkbox.