cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 sp5 upgrade to 2010

NORID
Level 3

Hi ,

I am trying to upgrade my server (Backup Exec 12 sp5) to backup exec 2010.

The upgrade of the MSSQL express database works fine it is only when the upgrade run for the backup exec it failed without any error message.

Does anyone encounter this kind of problem??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As per your information the upgrade of SQL is fine but fails on Backup Exec database upgrade. I am sure you are providing this information by looking at one of the window during the upgrade uninstallation where it mentions how much time willit take to upgrade each component like Live updates, MSXML, SQL, BE database, etc.

If this is so that are you sure that the installation log file is not getting updated.

If your server is Win 2003 then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs

check specifically the file called BKUPINST.HTM ...... ( the file with HTM as extension)

This file should be able to give you the error with which the upgrade is failing.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Search your C: drive for a file called bkupinst which is the log of the installation process.  The last few lines should contain the errors.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi NORID,

In my case when this happened, McAfee was blocking the installation of SQL. At times a manual installation worked, but those were in the minority.

I'd suggest stopping your AV and disabling the services. Once done, run the upgrade again!

Thanks!

NORID
Level 3

I've searched the C: drive for the bkupinst log and it is outdated( 2006-2007).

Before starting the upgrade I've disabled the AV services and still got the failure.

I've logged a case with Symantec,  which by the way put me on hold for 2.5 hrs ,  and I'll let you know the result.

Thanks

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As per your information the upgrade of SQL is fine but fails on Backup Exec database upgrade. I am sure you are providing this information by looking at one of the window during the upgrade uninstallation where it mentions how much time willit take to upgrade each component like Live updates, MSXML, SQL, BE database, etc.

If this is so that are you sure that the installation log file is not getting updated.

If your server is Win 2003 then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs

check specifically the file called BKUPINST.HTM ...... ( the file with HTM as extension)

This file should be able to give you the error with which the upgrade is failing.

Thanks,

-Sush...