cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 13.0(2010) - Tandberg LTO 2 HH internal - connectivity

Foxtrick
Level 3
Hello there,

My first post - hopefully someone here can help!

We recently setup a client of ours with a Dell T310 server, setup with Windows 2008 64bit Std and also setup Backup Exec 13.0 - all updates applied for the Server and Symantec.

Our current problem is that the Tandberg LTO-2 HH(also new) is currently 'offline' in Symantec. We can put it online but trying to inventory it states two errors :-

Firstly that the device appears to be offline and to check cables etc. (Connected via SCSI).

Second error states '

The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive not found.

'

I've tried to uninstall the Symantec driver and reinstall but everytime attempted it states there is 'no change' to the driver. I've then looked at device manager and the device has no errors itself for the drive is apparently functional, again uninstalled this, restarted server and no change. I've then succumbed to the idea it is possibly the SCSI card itself but struggled to do much with it - the card in question is labeled as "LSI Adapter, Ultra320 SCSI Series 2000, w/1020/1030"

I initially suspected its because its a 64bit O/S and reliance on compatible drivers but well ... im abit lost.. Any help would be appreciated :)

Failing this I think I'll give Symantec a call, even if its to say to consult with the SCSI card people.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Foxtrick
Level 3
Spoken with Symantec support and appears to be a form of hardware error or problem with the SCSI

D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\adamm.log and found the following :-

[10304] 06/10/10 12:12:22.594 PvlDrive::ReadMediaHeader() - offline device
       Drive = 1007 "TANDBERG 1"
       ERROR = 0x0000045D (ERROR_IO_DEVICE)

Don't worry about helping any more - i'll be contacting Tandberg shortly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Check the Windows system log, if you are getting event id's 5,7,9,11 or 15 then its a hardware issue.

Refer to this link http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501 for more info on device and media.

Foxtrick
Level 3
Thanks, didn't find any suspect event ids. The actual symantec errors that I wrote in the OP were in the event log though.

I'll contact Symantec I think.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
...also make sure that Removable Storage service is stopped and disabled. this causes issues with Backup Exec.
Furthermore, make sure that the drive is not connected up to a SCSI card hosting the drives. This is also known to be a problem...
If RSM is started up, and you have had to disable it, then restart the services, and run through the Device Configuration Wizard again.

Foxtrick
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the tip. The SCSI card is solely connected to the tape drive and no other physical devices. And the Removable Storage service is set to manual and not started

CraigV

...OK...disable it anyway.
Can you get hold of any utilities to test your device? Any lights showing an error? Have you tried different tapes?

Foxtrick
Level 3

TDViewer.exe dies when trying to run 'This application failed to start because WnASPI32.dll' was not found - Reinstalling the application may fix this application.

Believe this is a Tandberg drive viewer? 

The drive has no tapes currently, the problem is the Symantec views the drive as offline, you can put it online but the moment you try to inventory it - it gives the above errors.

Foxtrick
Level 3
Spoken with Symantec support and appears to be a form of hardware error or problem with the SCSI

D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\adamm.log and found the following :-

[10304] 06/10/10 12:12:22.594 PvlDrive::ReadMediaHeader() - offline device
       Drive = 1007 "TANDBERG 1"
       ERROR = 0x0000045D (ERROR_IO_DEVICE)

Don't worry about helping any more - i'll be contacting Tandberg shortly.

CraigV
Cool man...mark your post as the solution, or anything that pointed you in the right direction.