cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 14.1 failed backups when tape full

hoan_lac
Level 2

Hi all, 

I'm running Backup Exec 14.1 on Windows 2008 Server 64bit and have a problem with backups failing.

When the tape is full, the backup task was failed to backup, can't overwrite the tape. In the Sysmantec setting I config the backup task is 

Screenshot 2015-04-07 10.50.48.png

The error:

Screenshot 2015-04-07 10.49.46.png

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

There should be overwritable media available so the job can overwrite.

YOu may check the following 

1. Make sure the media which you have can be overwritten. 

2. Check the following settings Click on the BE button ---> Configuration and Settings ---> Backup Exec Settings 

Make sure appropriate  option either to overwrite recyclable media  or scratch media is selected.

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello,
You mentioned that the tape was full. To avoid this issue make sure there is a Appendable Media available in the targetted media before you run the Backup Job.

OR

Set the Backup Job to "Overwrite media" or "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available"(which I see you've already done).
Please note the following points:
1. Append Media means "add data to the Media without deleting the original data".
2. As "Blank/New and Scratch Media" does not contain any data due to which they are not considered appendable media.
3. A media is said to be appendable media, when there is at least one backup set written to it prior to the current backup.
4. Also when a job is spaned on multiple media, only the first media would be appended rest all would be overwritten(As tape can only be read linearly). So make sure all the media except the first is overwritable.
For more information on appendable media, please refer to the following article: An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"(with a video)

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As extra info the Job Cancellation message is almost certainly something you have configured whereby if the job does not complete in a specific time it is cancelled. If you did nto have this setup instead of that error, you would see that the job is still runnign but has a warning asking you to insert media.

Also if you look carefully at the image you posted you will see the that append setting is inside a box called "When this job begins" which is an indicator that the actions only apply a the start of the job (in other words when choosing the first media in the job) which confirms point 4 in sidd3009's reply.

One final point: a piece of media is overwritten competely in one action, so you can't append to the end of a tape and then go back to the start of it and only overwrite the first set already on it. If we let you reuse the same media for an overwrite action, you would in effect be "swallowing your own tail" which would result in a potential for data loss.

hoan_lac
Level 2

Thanks for all so much. I will try.