cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 14 and Free NAS

MilosDHL91
Level 3

Hi all,

I want to backup data using Backup Exec 14 on drive that is located on Free NAS.

I use Free NAS and connect it to Windows Server 2012 R2 using iscsi. I add hard drive via Disk Management at Windows Server. Drive is accesible and data can be read/write.

I create a one time job and backup only system state (Windows Server 2012 R2) to drive that is located on Free NAS and everything is ok. Whole backup is a few Gb.

When I create a schedule to backup data and virtual machines from Windows Server 2012 R2 job fails with Error E000FE30 : A communication failure has occurred when attempting to backup or restore...

What can be problem?

Regards

17 REPLIES 17

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
FreeNAS isn't supported by BE at all which might explain why this doesn't work. https://download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/SFDC/21000/000020776/en_US/be_2014_hcl.html?__gd... Only other option you have is to try run the b2dtest.exe tool and see if this is supported. Thanks!

Ok I understand that.

But still don`t understand how test backup job done,

Regards

CraigV
It doesn't necessarily run a proper data stream to the device...

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Your first post isn't perfectly clear.  To clarify, the Free NAS is your backup target and it is using iSCSI (not CIFS).  Correct?

Using iSCSI should (probably) make the target hardware (basically) irrelevant as it presents itself as a local disk drive, so I suspect that the error in the backup job is related to your sources or your job.  I would suggest running that backup job to another disk target - if the error is still there, then that confirms that the target is not relevant.  Then you can focus on the backup job and/or that job selection list.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Using iSCSI should make the target hardware irrelevant

Can you supply the document to back up this statement?

I backup data from Windows Server 2012 to Free NAS. Free NAS is connected to Windows Server 2012 via iSCSI.

I add new drive via Computer Management and drive is read/write available. 

One time test job (System state of Windows Server 2012 - couple of Gb), that use Free NAS drive for storage, is successfuly done.

Backup job crash when is scheduled and Backup Exec program can`t connect to host until i restart Backup Exec services.

Regards 

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@MilosDHL91 wrote:
Backup job crash when is scheduled and Backup Exec program can`t connect to host until i restart Backup Exec services.

You need to research why that job is failing.  Please provide more details.  Please try modifying the backup selection list to determine what part of it is likely causing hte issue.  Please try backing up to a different destination to reduce suspicions about the FreeNAS target.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Using iSCSI should (probably) make the target hardware (basically) irrelevant

Without any supporting documentation, this statement is an alternate fact, even with the qualifiers in brackets.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@pkh wrote:

Using iSCSI should (probably) make the target hardware (basically) irrelevant

Without any supporting documentation, this statement is an alternate fact, even with the qualifiers in brackets.

from the BE 16 HCL: For this basic support, any device recognized and supported by the Windows platform should work with Backup Exec.

URL: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000115688

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

how is the network configuration of your backupexec server? multiple nics? what type of bonding? is ipv6 enabled?

how is the network options in your backupjobs?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Any device must be recognised and supported by Windows before BE can use it, but note that the statement that you quoted says "should" and not "will" work.

There is a whole section in the HCL devoted to disk targets which have been tested by  Veritas and these are supported by BE, meaning if the user encounters a problem using the supported device with BE, he can open a support case for that problem.

For devices not listed in the HCL, like FreeNAS, and thus not tested by Veritas, if the user encounters any problem with that device, he cannot open a support case for the problem.

Far from being irrelevant, the disk target is very relevant to the problem.  It determines whether the user can or cannot get support from Veritas.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

When backup up VMs the device in questions will have to at least support the basic GRT requirements, hence test with  the B2DTest tool, to at least confirm that basic functionality testing.

GRT uses the remote agent on the BE server to open up the image in storage, so if there is a GRT issue a remote agent error can be seen, after the data transfer phase of the backup has completed (but is the is local remote agent and not the one within the VM or remote server)

You should also test with a local disk as a target and not this NAS (and if possible a smallish VM)  just to ensure the basics are working

OK so B2DTests and try different storage have been mentioned already in replies (but not the GRT iformation as to why). This next point has not been mentioned

If you are using BE Deduplication Storage on the NAS and not standard Disk Storage (B2D) setup then please be aware that in the past we have experienced lag/timeout issues with software iSCSI solutions that can cause corruption within Deduplication Storage and as such hardware iSCSI or NAS solutions are recommended for Deduplication setups (and we will close support cases if a software iSCSI solution using Deduplication is found to be giving issues) - this case closure is performed against our Alternative Confurguation statements, as can be found in the compatibility lists)

Multiple nics no IPV6 enabled.

I don`t use GRT.

Backup Exec on that server do every day backup on tape and I test on another drive and it`s working.

Regards 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

OK so if another drive works you need to look at B2DTEST results

After a while I tried to reinstall Backup Exec 2014 and install clean Backup Exec 2016. Everything works perfect.

Now I have a problem with licences.

Regards

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

and what kind of problem?

can you attach the error?