cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 & Dell DR4100

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi.

I plan to get a Dell R530 and connect it directly to my DR4100 Deduplication appliance via 10 GbE Direct Attach Cable. I don't have a 10 GbE switch so I decided to connect the DR4100 directly to my R530.

Question.

1. Can I still perform backups to my DR4100 as an OST storage ?

2. Should I use 

Enable the remote computer to access the storage device through the Backup Exec server and to perform Backup Exec server-side deduplication, if it is supported ?

Since, my DR4100 is not connected to the LAN. (Except for the management port)

3. Would I be abe to use this type of deduplication with my setup?

Backup Exec server-side deduplication with a deduplication disk storage device.

or

Appliance deduplication on an OpenStorage device.

Thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. Yes. The appliance can function as an OST appliance if all the requirements in the HCL is met. You will need to install the OST-plugin on the media server 2. Since your remote servers have no connections to the appliance, they can only do server-side dedup, but the dedup processing is not done by the media server. The backup data is passed on to the appliance and it is the one doing the dedup processing. 3. You will be doing the latter option. See my answer above. You might want to get a switch so that you can connect your remote servers to the appliance. This will allow you to do client-side dedup where the backup data goes directly to the appliance. One of the rare instances where data bypass the media server

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. Check the HCL below and it shows the DR4100 as supported for OST:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH227895

So in terms of this, direct-connecting it to your Dell PowerEdge will still allow it to function as an OST device.

2. & 3. Just read through the Admin Guide as it will point you in the right direction to take when it comes to setting up dedupe.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO74446

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. Yes. The appliance can function as an OST appliance if all the requirements in the HCL is met. You will need to install the OST-plugin on the media server 2. Since your remote servers have no connections to the appliance, they can only do server-side dedup, but the dedup processing is not done by the media server. The backup data is passed on to the appliance and it is the one doing the dedup processing. 3. You will be doing the latter option. See my answer above. You might want to get a switch so that you can connect your remote servers to the appliance. This will allow you to do client-side dedup where the backup data goes directly to the appliance. One of the rare instances where data bypass the media server

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi. pkh,

Thanks for the answer.

Last question.

Do I still need to acquire the deduplication option license so I can backup to my deduplication appliance ?

Thanks,

Paul

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. You would need the BE dedup option licence to use the device as an OST appliance