cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 Disaster Recovery redux

Haas71
Level 2

I've been searching the forums for the answer, which has to be fairly simple, but I'm probably not searching this correctly. I found some help, but it was mostly for Netbackup. However, I'm sure this will be simeple for someone to answer for me.

We currently have two sites. The main site "A" is using  Backup Exec 15 and is backing everything up to a 19 TB Quantum DXI4701. All servers with the exception of our Exchange 2013 server and the backup server are on Hyper-V 2012 clusters. We are in the process of bringing our DR site "B" online. The DR site "B" will have the exact same server hardware and and another Quantum DXI4701. All backup data from the Quantum will be replicated to the DR site. I'm still learning the Backup Exec product and hope one of you could help me with this next part. The Backup Exec servers are not appliances.

So, once everything is replicated, what is the process to hook up another server using backup Exec 15 to tie into the replicated Quantum if the need should arise? The backup database and everything backup related is on the current live backup server. So what do I need to do to backup (if needed) the current live server, or how to run another server in tandom at the DR site without needing to do some type of reload and restore to a new backup server at the DR site? I already have th DB recovery key backed up. Do I need to buy an additional Backup Exec feature?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

"All backup data from the Quantum will be replicated to the DR site."

We recommend using the built in "Duplication" of Backup Exec rather than using other forms of replication and this KB explains why - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH176061.html

You could consider using the CASO feature which comes along with the Enterprise Server Option and the DeDuplication option. Have a look @ this whitepaper  - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backup-exec-2014-technical-white-paper-optimized-duplication

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Will the media server at the DR site be doing any backups during normal times or will it only be activated during an emergency? If it is the latter, then what you are proposing is fine. In fact, you don't even require another set of BE licenses for the DR media server. During an emergency, all you need to do is to inventory and catalog the storage device before using it.

Haas71
Level 2

The DR site backup server will not be doing any backups. It's there as a "just in case". All the Hyper-V Vm's will be replicated to the DR site. However, I'm still working on how to do Exchange 2013 because that server is a physical server. So basically all backups are performed at site "A" to a Quantum. Then all that data will be replicated to another Quantum at the DR site "B". Do I just load Backup Exec 2015 and SQL on another server and just leave it dormant at the DR site until something happens?

Haas71
Level 2

"All backup data from the Quantum will be replicated to the DR site."  Correct but it is being replicated to another Quantum using Quantums replication technology. So it's Quantum to Quantum Couldn't I just use the OST option for the backup then replicate it using Quantum's technology to the other site? Keep in mind the data isn't changing. Well, what I mean is the data is getting shoved off from one Quantum to another without a middle man.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can do that

deejerydoo
Level 5
Partner

The only risk with this option is that, having to do a catalogue and inventory of your entire storage device, before being able to use it, can take a lot of time, depending on volume of data and performance; and time is often not what you have a lot of during DR scenarios.