cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 - Error e0009757

JimDettman
Level 3

I just installed BE 2015 at a client and I'm a little confused.  The environement I have at the moment is this:

Dell Physical Server running vmWare esxI host

1 VM, Windows SBS 2011 standard.

Backup Exec Capacity Edition has been installed in the guest OS VM.     I'm trying to do a backup on the host level along with all GRT options turned on.  The BE agent has been installed on the guest OS.

When the job runs, it immeaditaely returns with "A Backup Exec media server cannot back itself up when it is installed on a virtual machine." (error e0009757).

Sounds simple enough on the face of it, but I can't understand why as this doesn't seem to be indicated in the admin notes anywhere.  It may be implied and I'm just not understanding that, but the way I'm attempting to backup seems to be way it should be done.  Then when I look at the tech note:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH172522.html

Things get a little more confusing because it basically imples that it should work, but might not if non-windows VM's are involved and GRT is turned on. That's not the case here.

So the question is, what way should I be configuring the backup job for this setup.  I should also add that it does contain the tape drive and I have no other physical servers to install this on (there is a second server in the environment, which is a Dell box running 2012 Hyper V with a single 2012 vm, but I was trying to simplify the backup to understand the problem - I will be adding the second server later once I get this first server to backup).

If it should work the way I have it configured (backing up at the host level and then getting meta data via the agent) and the error message is just mis-leading, which I should I be doing /looking for that might be causing the error?   There is only a single vm, so I don't think the tech note would apply.

Or is it really simply a case of it can't work this way?

Jim.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It just does not work with your configuration. It is always recommended to use a physical server for the media server, especially if you want to access physical devices like tape drives

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It just does not work with your configuration. It is always recommended to use a physical server for the media server, especially if you want to access physical devices like tape drives

JimDettman
Level 3

So then with this setup, I am stuck then with backing up the guest VM at the guest level as I would a normal physical server?

From everything I've read, it seems like the recommendation is to backup at the host level, with all the GRT options turned on.  In fact I get a warning when I configure a backup job on the guest OS as a server by itself that I should be backing up on the host level.

It just seems like from everything I've read and understand of the process, it should work.  I guess part of the question here is understanding why it won't work.

Jim.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
See the error message Suppose it is possible to backup the virtualized media server as a VM and your data center is wiped out. How are you going to restore this VM?