cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 - Full backups only using one tape.

gopherb
Level 3

We have a bank of LTO tape drives (9 drives) LTO 4 and LTO 6 which are in two drive pools, LTO4 and LTO6.

When i allocate the backup jobs to use either the LTO 6 or LTO4 drives i am finding that the full backups are not being split between the drives, eg tape1, tape2 etc, but it writes to one tape which fills it up completely, so any full backups that have "use any drive free in LTO4 pool" are being written to one tape, Tape4-1

When i allocate the job to use a specific drive, say tape 4, the job in question will save the diff to that drive but doesn't seem to write the full backup to that tape. The job states that it has completed but when i look at the tape there is not way it has saved 900GB, it has only saved the Diff job??

Why does BE seem to write ok when i let it choose which tape to use in the LTO6 pool and then when i allocate a tape to use it really doesn't work?

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE can only target one one output at one time.  When you target a pool of devices, you give it a choice as to which device to use.

It depends on how your full backup is set up.  What media set, overwrite/append, etc.

BE does not care about which tape it uses.  It only care whether the tape meets its output criteria.

I would suggest that you read the tape management chapter of the User Guide.

Hi PKH,

BE can only target one one output at one time.  When you target a pool of devices, you give it a choice as to which device to use.

So in this instance lets say I have a pool of tape drives called LTO3 and the other pool is LTO6. Within the Job Monitor tab, if on each job I let the backup write to any tape, say within LTO3 pool, I find that it will only write (for some reason), to Tape 3 in that pool. 

If i edit the job and change the Storage to a specific tape, say tape 2, then it will use that tape but only for the Diff job. The full for some reason writes to the hard drive first then does not write (although the tape is available), to tape 2? I know this because if the Full backup is 10GB tape 2 does not have 10GB written to it.

BE should use the tape I tell it to, i know, but can not get it to use them.

It depends on how your full backup is set up.  What media set, overwrite/append, etc.

A Full backup is set to run on a Friday, to any backup exec server and to use the Deduplication disk storage. I have staggered the various backups throughout the evening and there is no conflicts that i can see. The weekday Diff's run fine to individual tapes ok.

Thanks for your help.