cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 - Granular Recovery Technology - Exchange

Teddy_Bear1
Level 2

Hi All.

I have a job in Symantec backup Exec 15, that is divided into 2: Full and Incremental. The Full backup job runs well as scheduled, but the incremental keeps failing. It says

"V-79-57344-862 - The Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange was not used to create the last full backup of this database.  You must use the Exchange Agent to run a full backup before you run a differential or incremental backup."

I deleted the incremental job and recreated it from the full job, then run the Full backup (successful) and tried to run the incremental afterwards (failed), and it still gives the same error message. I checked the Job Name and they are as follows: Full -> Job Name: EX1-Full and Incremental-> Job Name: EX1-Incremental.

It also displays the following error message

"V-79-57344-65193 - The backup selection '\\EXCHANGE.MyDomain.local\Microsoft Information Store\Mailbox Database 0397742495' was not successfully processed for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT). The Database Recovery failed with Error '-528 The current log.You will not be able to restore individual items for this backup selection"

I ran a live update, and all products are up to date

What do I do?

3 REPLIES 3

EliasA
Employee CPEP

Is there anything else running between the full and the incremental backups?  How much time difference is there between the full backup and the incremental backup?

It sounds like you have these condistions met, but listing here just in case:

If you create full, differential, or incremental backups, GRT-enabled jobs have the following restrictions:

• The full, differential, and incremental job templates must be part of a policy.

• The destination device must be a backup-to-disk folder.

• The backup sets from the full, differential, and incremental jobs must be on the same volume.

MoopereM
Level 3

I spent way too much time trying to get GRT Diffs to work with BE v15 and exchange.  Despite a couple of successful runs, I couldn't go more than a few days without the job failing with errors that all seemed unrelated to BE itself ... complaints about VSS writers, exchange logs, blah blah blah, it just never really ended and I couldn't spend an indefinite amount of time continuing to weedle out the issue.

In the end I just went with daily GRT/fulls - which might not work for you if your exchange db is very large or your backup window very small (or both!).

Teddy_Bear1
Level 2

EliasA. There is nothing else running between the Full and Incremental. I run the Full every Monday @ 5PM, then run the Incremental every day @ 10 PM. In some cases the Full runs untill the next day - Failure in that case is understandable. Then when it is done I run it manually and it still gives me the same error.The backup sets are on the same volume, same destinations, same everything except that the other is Full, the other incremental. What policy are you talking about, How can I create it?

MoopereM - I am thinking about the Fulls as well, even if I have to run it 3 times a week. I came across a similar link on Veritas. https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000023701 It says there is no solutions for this.