cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 Hyper-V 2012R2 CSV IO Redirected

MartinA5678
Level 2

Hello, we have just upgraded to Backup Exec 15 and bought Hyper-V agents for our 2012R2 Cluster. I am finding that when a HyperV backup is run and the Cluster Shared Volume is hosted by another node the disk access is run through the other node and sent to the node the machine is hosted on much in the same way that 2008R2 HyperV did in restricted access. This reduces the speed dramatically.

Example

VM running on Node 1 and CSV Node 1 - 6GB/min
VM running on Node 1 and CSV Node 2 - 1.2GB/min

If whilst the backup is running I move the CSV from node 2 to node 1 the backup speed increases and you can see the IO is being used on the local host. The CSV all show as online and do not change to restricted or redirected access. Is there a setting somewhere that controllers this action?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The CSV all show as online and do not change to restricted or redirected access.

What state does running the get-clustersharedvolumestate cmdlet during backup show ?

I am guessing the state would show redirected access and if yes, are there any events logged on the host mentioning why ?

Also, do ensure AOFO is enabled in the backup job and set to explicitly use the Microsoft VSS provider. (A hardware vss provider can also cause redirected access).

Lastly, there isn't any setting in BE itself which controls the above action.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The CSV all show as online and do not change to restricted or redirected access.

What state does running the get-clustersharedvolumestate cmdlet during backup show ?

I am guessing the state would show redirected access and if yes, are there any events logged on the host mentioning why ?

Also, do ensure AOFO is enabled in the backup job and set to explicitly use the Microsoft VSS provider. (A hardware vss provider can also cause redirected access).

Lastly, there isn't any setting in BE itself which controls the above action.

MartinA5678
Level 2

Thanks for your responce thats what I needed. I wish I had read this before calling support who said it was an issue with the SQL database we were using for the backup exec database.

When I select the Micrososft VSS provider "Backup Exec could not locate a Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) software or hardware snapshot technology for this job" so looks like the SAN VSS provider has taken over.

When using the get-clustersharedvolumestate command I can see that the CSV is getting Block Redirected due to No Disk Connectivity when the CSV is on another node. Guess I will speak to Nimble about their VSS provider.

MartinA5678
Level 2

OK a bit of an update on this. I have been speaking with Nimble's support (who are very helpful) and we have removed the Nimble VSS providers as they only support Exchange and SQL not HyperV CSV with their VSS writer. The problem is still present and I am still having an issue when selecting use Micrososft VSS provider and getting an error.

I have rasied another request with Symantec support and I hoping they will understand the problem this time.