cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 & Hyper-V (Windows 2012R) on the same server

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi.

Is it possible to install Windows 2012 R2 with Hyper-V & Backup Exec 15 on the same server ?

I plan to install BE15 on the parent partition (not as a VM). There will be an SAS External LTO6 tape drive connected to the server.

There will be two to three VMs deployed.

DL380 Gen 9 connected to External LTO6 SAS tape drive (Windows 2012 R2, Hyper-V enabled)

Backup Exec 15, installed on the parent partition.

- VM 1 (Windows 2012 R2)

- VM 2 (Windows 2012 R2)

- VM 3 (Windows 2012 R2)

Questions:

1. Would this setup work ?

2. I will only purchase Agent for VMware & Hyper-V ? Would I be able to backup the VMs on separate schedules to disks then stage to tape?

3. Would I encounter any problems with GRT ?

Thanks,

Paul

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1) - Yes, you can install BE on the Hyper-V host.

2) - Yes, you can backup any number of VMs hosted on this hypervisor using the Agent for Vmware & Hyper-V. You can setup the initial backup to a disk storage and then add a "duplicate" stage to duplicate the backup sets from disk to tape.

3) - As long as GRT requirements are met, then no.

View solution in original post

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

There is nothing wrong with running BE on the Hyper-V host.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6

1) - Yes, you can install BE on the Hyper-V host.

2) - Yes, you can backup any number of VMs hosted on this hypervisor using the Agent for Vmware & Hyper-V. You can setup the initial backup to a disk storage and then add a "duplicate" stage to duplicate the backup sets from disk to tape.

3) - As long as GRT requirements are met, then no.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you have applications like Exchange and/or SQL Server databases in the VM's and you want to restore individual items from them, then you need to buy an Agent for Application and Database license for each application/database in each VM. This is on top of the hypervisor agent license

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. 

If I installed the Backup Exec 15 on a VM, would the external tape drive still work ?

Or is it mandatory the Backup Exec 15 should be installed on the Parent Partition (not as a VM)

in order for the tape drive to work wirhout any problems?

Thanks,

Paul

AmolB

You will always face issues when the tape drive is connected to the host machine and BE on a

guest machine. With a tape drive in use, Its always recommended to install Backup Exec on a

physical machine. 

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi,

So as long as the Backup Exec 15 is installed on the physicall machine, there should be no problems with the tape drive?

Should there by any concerns on running the Hyper-V and backup exec 15 (not as a VM) installed on the same server ?

Thanks,

Paul

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

There is nothing wrong with running BE on the Hyper-V host.

Thanks!