pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi,

Can someone explain to me this

‘Front-end terabyte’ is defined as the size of the protected uncompressed data

For example if I got 2 servers

Server 1 = 500 GB used with 2 TB free

Server 2 = 500 GB used with 2 TB free

So these means Front-end terabyte = 1 TB (2x 500 GB) ?

This is the amount of data to be protected and my reference how much capacity license I should acquire?

Thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In simple terms, front-end refers to one full backup data of a server. It doesn't matter how many full backups of that data you run OR how many copies you have, the calculation is based on the last full backup.

So Server 1 has 500GB used of 2 TB and you are backing up the server in Full, then 500GB is the front-end data. If the next full backup backs up 1TB, then the front-end becomes 1TB and so on.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver

In essence you are correct but in practice it might be slightly more as the System State Backup may include some items that are also in drive letter backups (altough we try to block this for most files)

Also you need to plan for data growth so in your scenario you would probably buy 2TB of licenses and have a budget to add license capacity up to you total volume size of 5TB  (as a precaution)

Some useful info here:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000025717

VJware
Level 6

In simple terms, front-end refers to one full backup data of a server. It doesn't matter how many full backups of that data you run OR how many copies you have, the calculation is based on the last full backup.

So Server 1 has 500GB used of 2 TB and you are backing up the server in Full, then 500GB is the front-end data. If the next full backup backs up 1TB, then the front-end becomes 1TB and so on.