cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 SDR Backups on Media Server

SaiP
Level 3

I can't seem to get SDR to turn on with our BE15 media server jobs. This means I can't to a bare metal restore or conversion from point in time to VM. This basically means you can’t restore your backup exec media server in a real DR situation. Has anyone seen this before, or currently experiencing this? I am working with Veritas no support at this time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SaiP
Level 3

I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to create a VM as a central admin server, or another media server to have all catalogs, job settings and history ready to go for DR purposes. I would then have a VM backup of that.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Did you select the entire media server and does not exclude anything?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is there a DeDupe folder attached to the BE 15 media server ?

SaiP
Level 3

I have selected everything critical needed for SDR like others which do work, and yes we have a dedup folder. SDR worked at one point im guessing when we were at version 2012. Now after upgrading to 2014 then 15 it seems to have stopped.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Post a screenshot of your selection screen

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Post a screenshot of your selection screen for your media server

SaiP
Level 3

Attached, a a screen shot of media server and a working SDR job.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The SDR light is off because you have excluded the D: and H: drives. If you include them then the SDR light will come on. When you deselect anything and the SDR light goes off, it means that you have excluded something which SDR hard determined that it is critical for the recovery of the server

SaiP
Level 3

Pkh,

I have tried that, also if you see on the image SDR off doesn't even show. there is no SDR option at all.

I saw a post from 2011 you wrote up, is this still true now? :

To restore the media server do the following:-

1) Restore the OS

2) Install BE

3) catalog your media

4) restore the Data and Catalogs directory to some temporary location

5) stop all BE services

6) replace the Data and Catalogs directories with the old ones

7) use BEUtility to restore the BEDB

8) start all BE services

9) Continue with your other restores

Read the section on Preparing for Disaster Recovery in the Admin Guide.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Have you tried creating a new backup job for the media server and see whether the SDR indication appears?

2) Yes. The steps that you have listed are still valid.

SaiP
Level 3

Pkh,

I have tried a new job, I have a ticket with veritas at this time which has been escalated to the ADV team (which still seems to be overseas) they seem to be stumped.

Question,

Do you have BE15 installed? or 2014 may do the same.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have not installed BE 15, but I have not encountered this problem and so far nobody has reported this problem on this forum.

If you have a spare machine, try installing BE on it and see whether you get the same problem.

VJware
Level 6

Would you PM me your case number ? Thanks.

SaiP
Level 3

I'm am interested to know if any of you can do an SDR backup, bare metal restore or conversion to vm from point in time of your BE media server? If yes which versions are you running?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why?

Have you tried a SDR restore or a conversion to VM using the servers which has the SDR lights on?

Colin_Weaver

Ok looking at your pictures I think the the SDRlight would be visible but grey instead of green if you had deselected something critical to SDR - i.e. it would show an SDR status and not just have a blank space where the SDR information should be.

Are you sure  you are on BE 15 as that looks more like the symptoms we had when Windows 2012 R2 did not support SDR and that was prior to BE 15

SaiP
Level 3

Colin,

That’s what I was expecting, it stopped working May of last year, I believe we were at 2012 R2 then. I have had no luck with support at Veritas so far, the work around solution they gave was to do a file level restore, which is not excepatble to me. Would it be possible to work with you and your US based team?

SaiP
Level 3

I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to create a VM as a central admin server, or another media server to have all catalogs, job settings and history ready to go for DR purposes. I would then have a VM backup of that.

SaiP
Level 3

Pkh,

The whole issue was discovered after trying VM convertions, yes it works just fine in other jobs. I just heard back from veritas today, it seems they have an unofficial release 2 for BE15 which will fix SDR. I am curious as to what setup you have, and to see if you can do SDR restores or convertsion to vm point in time. Any way I belive I'm going to resolve this my self (as I always do) My solution is to create a VM for CASO, then not worry about the media server so much as I will have a full VM I can restore.

SaiP
Level 3

FYI Veritas support just informed me of an unoffical update 2, I will test it on a VM copy of my media server.