cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 Sucks a**!!!!!!!!!

Zeeman28a
Level 3

I want my backups to work.  I don't give a rats ass for Symantec or Veritas or whatever they want to call themselves now to backup my data according to what they want.

I am sick and tired of backups stating they are superceded and/or skipped for whatever reason.

When I run a f******* job, I want that job to run.

How do I get back my Backup Exec to run the way I want it to run?  I pay $15K CDN a year for the damn license and maintenance for this damn product, was forced to upgrade because we are now running Exchange 2013 servers, and it doesn't work.

Bring back Backup Exec 2010.

Or can anyone recommend a replacement product that works?

Can anyone tell I'm seriously pissed at this new version and Symantec/Veritas for making a great backup program a POS!

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Why not post the issues here and see if someone on the community can assist? (PS: I don't work for Veritas so don't shoot the messenger!).

Thanks!

Zeeman28a
Level 3

Hi Craig.

I will run a job when I want it to run.

I am sick and tired of my job status being superceded and skipped

Bring back BE2010

I thought I was pretty clear. 

I hate how BE does that group scheduling thing.

Why does a new job have to be a FULL backup?  BE doesn't recognize that I have full backups.  I don't want to do these stupid ass groupings.  This has to be the stupidest thing I have ever seen in my 30+ years working in IT.  Even if I don't have a full backup in this server, I should still be able to do differential or incremental backups since the files used to get marked.

I created a full backup of my file server.  The job is set to run every 30th.  But I cannot let this job run automatically.  I have to start it manually.  Reason why is that I cannot backup my file server per a calendar.  Some months I start it on the first, others on the 2nd.  Also, some months have 31 days, and then there's that one month with 28/29 days.  I won't run a full until the end of the month.  I just want to be able to click and run.  So why does my differential, that runs on the 31st, end up as superceded?  Why can't I just run it?  I don't want it to care that the job scheduled on the 30th didn't run.  Do a damn differential like you are scheduled to!

And then because it gets superceded, the duplicate to tape won't run as it ends up skipped.  This one doesn't bug me as much as I know as part of the same group, the last scheduled backup didn't run, but why doesn't it backup the last good backup like the job says it's supposed to do?  Even if it is from the day before.

I just want to get rid of this stupid grouping s**t scheduling program and return to the same scheduling that my BE2010 was using.

Thanks.

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i think new BE  is designed for small environments and most of the times this kind of scheduling / grouping is not a problem for small environments.

you can use NBU it's more reliable , feature rich and felexible.

Ovi_I
Level 4

Can anyone describe small enviorments? Because if u call Veritas and ask for advice, they will tell you everything u want to hear..

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

In Backup Job settings for Full Backup, choose the radio button -> create without a shedule. After first full is run, let the diffs run as scheduled and in between run the full backup when you want. I think this way you can avoid the current Issue.