cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 - Tape Library doesn't read complete barcode

steven_siu
Level 2

We bought a new Dell ML6020 library. After connecting to the Media server over SAS the barcode that is read by BE only showed the numbers (000001) instead of the full barcode with the suffix (000001L6). Currently we are mixing LTO5 & LTO6 medias and this is PITA when we cant tell whether a tape is L5 or L6. I opened a ticket with Veritas but the support person needs to get back to me after checking with their "review team"

From the tape library console the tapes appear with the full barcode. Somehow BE15 doesnt seems to pick it up.

I really hope this is something simple that I have overlooked and can be fixed quickly...

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

BE uses whatever bar code data it receives.  There should be a setting in the library web UI, something similar to "barcode label length returned to host".  It is provbably set to "6" and you want it set to "8" or "all", depending upon the library.

Once you make this change, cycle BE services so it discovers the new information.  I then suggest erasing media as the short bar code was written to any tapes used.  This will confuse you in the long run, so now is the time to fix it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

BE uses whatever bar code data it receives.  There should be a setting in the library web UI, something similar to "barcode label length returned to host".  It is provbably set to "6" and you want it set to "8" or "all", depending upon the library.

Once you make this change, cycle BE services so it discovers the new information.  I then suggest erasing media as the short bar code was written to any tapes used.  This will confuse you in the long run, so now is the time to fix it.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Make sure of the following:

1. The changer shows up as Unknown medium changer in Windows Device Manager;

2. User tapeinst.exe to run the installation for the Veritas drivers for the drive.

Thanks!

steven_siu
Level 2

Thanks for the reply. This is it. There is a settings in the partition that set the media barocde format. After changing it and running scan in BE everything showed up correctly.

Thank you very much