cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15: The operation failed because the vCenter or ESX server reported a problem creating or accessing more files needed.

pfcITAdmin
Level 3

Hello, I need some help

I'm tryin to Backup a Virtual Server using a Virtual Based backup but I'm not being succesful. There images below display the errors I am getting.

esxerror_1_0.jpg

Job Log shows this...

esxerror_4.jpg

I tested the credencials and everything seems fine. The Credencial Ststus is succesful and the State shows Online as you can see below 

esxerror_2.jpg

I also have the correct version of Backup Exec Remore Agent Utility Installed, Under Security tab, I can see that the truct was established between the server where Backup Exec 15 is installed and the Remote server I am trying to backup. 

esxerror_3.jpg

What can I do here?

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14

lmosla
Level 6

Hi pfclTAdmin,  it may be an issue with a VSS writer conflict.  refer to this KB http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129724

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Check the TN below too:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH174797.html

THanks!

pfcITAdmin
Level 3

When I run the cmd command: vssadmin list providers only one writer is displayed as you can see below. Should I go ahead and Install the VMware Snapshot Provider or the Symantec VSS Provider. Would they work better than the generic Microsoft Software Copy provider?

esxerror_5.jpg

CrainV, I can not find the Snapshot Menager. I'm using backup exec 15 trying to back a virtual ESXi 5.5.0 Server. Where would I go to delete the old snapshots? The article did not provide me with enough details.

Free free to ask any questions and share new ideas.

Thanks

CraigV

VM snapshots are deleted within VMware. You need to check there for orphaned snapshots. Just choose the Automatic option in AOFO and let BE do the necessary.

pfcITAdmin
Level 3

I went to the Snapshot Manager of the VM I'm trying to backup and I don't see any snapshots...the list is blank as you can see below.

esxerror_6.jpg 

CraigV

type: vssadmin list writers and see if that particular writer is stable. If not, restart the server.

pfcITAdmin
Level 3

VSS writer are all stable

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you able to take a manual snapshot of the VM via the VI / vSphere client itself ? Uncheck the 1st option (snapshot VM's memory) and check the 2nd one (quiesce) and then try taking and deleting the snapshot of the affected VM.

pfcITAdmin
Level 3

I believe I found the problem and it's associated with VMware. One of the Datastores my virtual server is associated with is out of space.

ex01_error_1.jpg

When I try to take a manual snapshot and I uncheck the 1st option and check the 2nd. This is the error message I get...

ex01_error_3.jpg 

How do I delete the snapshots of the affected VM?

CraigV

...you'll be able to view snapshots in VMware. Just check your version and ask this question on the VMware forums.

pfcITAdmin
Level 3

Will Do.

But I'm really confused about the snapshots, when I browse the contents of the Datastore and select the targer server I can see that the snapshots were taken today shortly after 9AM today. No backups are scheduled for this volume at this time because they fail. How are the snapshots taken?

ex01_error_4.jpg

VJware
Level 6

There may be a scheduled task within VMware itself configured for automatic snapshots.

pfcITAdmin
Level 3

Is there a way to make Backup Exec backup the volumes from snapshots taken by VMware instrad of trying to take brand new snapshots for a Virtual Based Backup?  

Looks like the snapshots have been taken, why can backup Exec just use those to run the job? 

VJware
Level 6

No there isn't. Afaik, not just BE but any other VADP-based backup software also wouldn't.