cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 V-ray not truncating Exchange 2010 logs

iatechsupport
Level 3

Hi

I have a Server 2012 R2 Hyper V host server running backup exec 15 (14.2 Rev 1180) v-ray edition.

One of my guest OS is Server 2008 R2 with Exchange 2010.

Although the virtual server backups are completing successfully exchange logs are not being truncated.

Please advise.

thanks

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Are you using Advanced Open File Option? If so, turn it off and then try the backup job again.

I have made sure that's off.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the event logs inside the Exchange server to see if ESE and / or VSS requests are having issues (and to confirm that such requests are bing made)

Also note that the Hyper-V tools and the remote agent must be installed within the Exchange server

Exchange VSS Writer (instance 9daa5b0e-b8c7-44cd-8a90-3da52822c0d2:107) has successfully completed the copy or differential backup of database 'Accounts DB'. No logfiles were truncated for this database.

As far as i can tell in backup exec settings the system is set for full backup.  How do i check this?

thanks

Colin_Weaver

Copy or differential backup do not truncate logs so that is the cause. (Only full and log/incremental backups truncate logs)

This will either be a setting in the BE job you are running, or something within the VSS settings of the Exchange server

I have checked backup exec and its set to full but whilst looking at it the options dissapeared.

before.JPG

after.JPG

Colin_Weaver

The Exchange settings will only be visible if you backup from an Exchange server directly (and not as a VM) the reason they disappear is you got into the settings dialog before the BE console had worked out what was in the selection list (we hide stuff that does not apply once the selecstions are analyzed)

When backing up a VM the settings that might control what type of Backup applied to databases inside the VM might be under the Virtual Machines section (sorry I dont have a Hyper-V setup with an Exchange server available to check the settings.)

Colin_Weaver

Not sure if thus is te same in BE 15, but BE 16 has a setting called

"Use VSS Copy backup"

as mentioned in

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000109164

Which controls it

HI Colin, where in 16 is this setting?

thanks

Colin_Weaver

in the VMware settings of the job (as it says in the article)

ok thanks