cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 from dead server not trusting tapes on another server

jahungerford888
Level 3

Hi all,

I am new to the forum here and I apologize if I post this in the wrong area.  I recently had one server died that we did tape backups on with Backup Exec 15.  I took the tape from that server and put it in my other server that also uses Backup Exec 15.  The problem is when I go to do a restore it keeps saying "Server is not trusted".  I have tried making a logon account and using the account that the old server had for the tape but it will not budge.  I have tried a few things below.

1. I tried duplicating the tapes information onto the servers disk with the same issue

2. I tried making a different admin account to use and it didnt work

3. I did the "Test all accounts" with no luck.

Is there anyway I can get this tape to trust this server so I can recover data from it?

9 REPLIES 9

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Whatever that server is that is in the screenshot - needs to have a remote agent installed on it and that remote agent needs to trust this new/second Backup Exec server (you can do this by adding the new Backup  Exec Server into the remote agent uitility on that server, or by adding the server into the Backup and Restore Tab of this new/second backup exec server and either pushing the agent again or setting up the trust from there.)

Your other option is to redirect the restore to a server that is already trusted (and then move the data manually)

BTW it is not the tape that is not trusted it is the trust between the  new/second Backup Exec Server and the remote server that is missing.

That is a problem though as the dead server isnt online and I cant choose it to install a remote agent.  Is there another way I can force it to accept the tape since I cant put the agent on a dead server? 

Colin_Weaver

In the restore wizard, use the redirection (restore to different location) option to redirect to either the Backup Exec server itself or a different server - do not attempt to test credentials if this test credentials choice is seen before the redirection choice (especially as you cannot test credentials against a system that is not online)

I want to say thanks for  your assistance but I am still running into issues.  Is this where you are telling me to look?  I apologize as the network admin for the company left and I am still going through the network finding out these things.

Colin_Weaver

That looks like an incomplete catalog as you should be able to drill down inside of E: to select individual files

Try re-cataloging the tape (possibly with Use Storage-based catalogs disabled)

I went in to check the settings and Use storage-based catalogs is grayed out. 

Colin_Weaver

Ok so what happens if you run a new catalog job against that tape?

I tried re cataloging it and it is now giving me device errors.  I have attached the screenshot to the reply.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@jahungerford888

Have you checked Event Viewer System and Application logs for device-related errors?