Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 media server for backing up Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines

KahnY
Level 2

Hello all:

I am trying to set up the following backup solution:

1) Physical server running Server 2012 R2 with internal tape drive - this will be a media server only and does not need to be backed up.

2) Physical server running Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 with multiple Server 2012 R2 virtual machines - the virtual machines need to be backed up.

Both servers are on the same network, and the media server and the virtual machines are joined to the same domain.  (The Hyper-V host is in a separate workgroup.)

Will this backup solution allow me to back up the virtual machines on the Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 physical host?

(Again, I do not need to back up the media server.  I just need it to provide access to the internal tape drive for Backup Exec since the Backup Exec media server cannot be installed on Hyper-V Server and Hyper-V Server cannot access tape drives.)

If yes, how many and what type of Backup Exec 15 licenses would I need?

If no (and also if yes), how would I achieve and optimize the backup solution?

I would appreciate any advice received!

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Invest in Capacity Licensing and it then becomes very simple - you just buy enough for your front end (full backup) requirements plus an allowance for data growth and then can use all of the options and agents.