cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 opens Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 files?

CrVMo
Level 3

Hi.

I have some Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 backups and would like to know if Backup Exec 15 can open and restore these files.

Thanks,

CrVMo

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. SSR is a different product and BE 15 cannot open SSR backup files.

View solution in original post

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BE can open / restore files from other product's backups provided they use the same format while storing the data. For egs, BE and ArcServe use the format (MTF) while writing to tape and so BE can restore from ArcServe backups. BE and NTbackup also use the same format (bkf) and so BE can also restore from NTbackups.

However, SSR writes using a format which is not recognized by BE and hence it cannot read/restore from these backups.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. SSR is a different product and BE 15 cannot open SSR backup files.

VJware
Level 6

BE can open / restore files from other product's backups provided they use the same format while storing the data. For egs, BE and ArcServe use the format (MTF) while writing to tape and so BE can restore from ArcServe backups. BE and NTbackup also use the same format (bkf) and so BE can also restore from NTbackups.

However, SSR writes using a format which is not recognized by BE and hence it cannot read/restore from these backups.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I remember Colin Weaver once said that NBU uses the tar format and BE cannot read this format. Which is which?

VJware
Level 6

That's right. NBU uses the tar format and BE cannot read this format, however NBU can read data created by BE.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
... but the last version of BE that NBU can restore from is BE 12.5 (?) which is out of support

VJware
Level 6

I think it was BE 12.0