cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 replicate backup to remote site and copy to tape

KeithLow
Level 2

Hi there,

I have 2 site with a BE media server installed on both site. One will be production site and the other DR site. I am trying to achieve the following

1. Backup to dedupe storage in production site
  2. Replicate backup to media server @ DR site (dedupe storage)
  3. Copy replicated backup to tape @ DR site
  4. Convert replicated backup to VM. 

So essentially will be

backup client ==> backup to local dedupe storage ==> replicate to remote dedupe storage ==> copy to tape

|===> convert to VM

can this be be done? I am aware that it is possible to B2D2D or B2D2T. but to involve tape out at remote site?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DarthBilly
Level 5
Employee

Yes this can be done, but you will need CASO (Central Administration Server Option) and one MBES (Managed BE Server)

Then you will have a CAS and an MBES. You will be able to backup locally and setcopy to your remote site all in one job (using dedupe or tape or any device you wish). You can chain in one to do the following:

Backup to Dedupe (local BE server) => Setcopy to remote DR site to Dedupe => Setcopy to Dr site Tape => Convert to VM.

Now the convert to VM you will have to chose which source Dedupe or Tape (Tape will be slower)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DarthBilly
Level 5
Employee

Yes this can be done, but you will need CASO (Central Administration Server Option) and one MBES (Managed BE Server)

Then you will have a CAS and an MBES. You will be able to backup locally and setcopy to your remote site all in one job (using dedupe or tape or any device you wish). You can chain in one to do the following:

Backup to Dedupe (local BE server) => Setcopy to remote DR site to Dedupe => Setcopy to Dr site Tape => Convert to VM.

Now the convert to VM you will have to chose which source Dedupe or Tape (Tape will be slower)

Hi Billy, thanks for your response.

I will be installing CASO, and by MBES, are you refering to the Managed Media Server? sorry, the last backup exec I have been using was BE2010. I am getting outdated with the terminology used.

I plan to have a media server each at both sites and to be managed by the CASO, if this is the correct architecture.

Right MMS = MBES we renamed it to Maganged Backup Exec Server instead of Managed Media Server.

1. CAS (pick a site central to the you or the MBESs, network speed is important)

2. Each site one MBES

You do not need an MBES at the CASO site, unless you want the CAS to only delegate jobs completely.