Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 16 Licensing for Hyper-V host

chris48
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

I am looking at having a Backup Exec server with BE16 installed on it with the purpose backing up a Windows 2012R2 server with the Hyper-V role installed and it's 4 VMs as well. We have been told that the maximum data size to be protected will be 4Tb and will want to perform a backup-disk-tape solution.

I was thinking I would require 1x Backup Exec server license for the BE server, 1x deduplication option, 1 x virtualization agent and 3 x Windows agents (only 3 VMs will need GRT backups) to carry this out (a tape drive will be attached to the Backup Exec server).

I have, however, looked at the licensing guide and wondered if the V-Ray edition would be better.  Firstly, does anyone know if I could use the V-Ray edition in this scenario with 1 x agent for Windows, or would it be better practice to install Backup Exec 16 onto the Hyper-V host itself, ensuring I had 6Tb disk storage and a tape drive attached, and use 1 x V-Ray edition license?  This would also save me having to purchase an extra server for Backup Exec itself?

Thanks

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The answer is all down to price so you should probably get quotes from a reseller for all scenarios

- A-la-carte (core BE  server + Deduplication + virtual agents + Agent for App & DB if any of the VMs contain databases possibly + windows agents) NOTE: you need to confirm exact requirements here as your current idea may be wrong.

- V-Ray (prcied per core I in Hyper-V host I believe)

- Capacity Edition (priced per 1TB and discounted a little if you buy multiple TB at same time)

BTW don't look at Capacity Lite as that does not allow Deduplication

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The answer is all down to price so you should probably get quotes from a reseller for all scenarios

- A-la-carte (core BE  server + Deduplication + virtual agents + Agent for App & DB if any of the VMs contain databases possibly + windows agents) NOTE: you need to confirm exact requirements here as your current idea may be wrong.

- V-Ray (prcied per core I in Hyper-V host I believe)

- Capacity Edition (priced per 1TB and discounted a little if you buy multiple TB at same time)

BTW don't look at Capacity Lite as that does not allow Deduplication