cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 16 and GRT restore MS Exchange 2007

AlexeyCherepov
Level 2

Hello guys.

I have new-installed Veritas Backup 16 (on Windows Server 2012R2)

I have MS Exchange 2007 on Windows Server 2003 R2 x64bit

I configure everyday B2D-job with full backup of MS Exchange bases with GRT (only Exchange-bases no any other files)

And I have two problems with it

1. Every job is finished with error V-79-57344-65193 for some of Information store (not for all, only for two from three). I check this article in KB and do all reccomendations but no result

2. When i try to restore any item from GRT-backup (for example one email) i get BROWSE FAILURE.

The volume that is used for the staging location must be a writable NTFS volume that is local to the Backup Exec server. Also, the volume must have the same sector size as the volume from which the Exchange log files were backet up.

or for some cases the next

Unable to complete the operation.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-546 The log file sector size does not match the sector size of the current volumn. "

I check sector size for Exchange Server and for Backup Exec server(special folder on local disk, which i point GRT-restore path in Global Settings Backup Exec.

Exchange:

Bytes Per Sector  :               512
Bytes Per Cluster :               4096
Bytes Per FileRecord Segment    : 1024

Backup Exec:

Bytes Per Sector  :               512
Bytes Per Physical Sector :       4096
Bytes Per Cluster :               4096
Bytes Per FileRecord Segment    : 1024

So it looks like the same.

Anyone can helps me to understand what i'm doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi guys I probably found a solution myself

I write here because maybe it is someone is also useful

Because it showed an error on the mismatched cluster sizes on the SOURCE disk with data and the DESTINATION disk with Storage, I did the next

1. I took an external USB drive

2. connect it to Windows Server 2003 and format it there with 512k cluster size

3. Then I connect this disk to the Windows Server 2012R2 and point to it GRT-Folder (in Backup exec options)

4. Reboot

5. All works good. All backup tasks works without any error and I can restore mailbox content without any problem

I hope this will help someone

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

The job does not seems to complete the GRT collection successfully. That is the reason why GRT restore does not work. Could you send the job logs ?

Which type of storage do you use (D2D or BE Dedupe or OST device) ?

Try to check AV exclusion for B2D, GRT Temp location and BE Deduplication folder (if any) : https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000023701

Also, could you check if Visual C++ is installed properly on BE Server. https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000108295

Ok, unswer for your question one by one

First:

I use "backup to disk" storage/ The storage for exchange bases - is only for exhange bases, and no use deduplication option.

I dont use AV on backup server at all.

I try to set GRT temp location for several disks - but no result. At now this optiou points to folder M:\TMP-GRT. This folder exists and has write\modify security rights for users on backup exec server.

Second:

in attach - Job log for one of jobs with error. I want to note, that I do backup four mailbox storages (and one public folders storage) but error in log point only for two of them. All mailbox storages place on the same disk volume and have from 3 to 4 mailbox bases inside. I dont understand whay only two of them are pointed in log like error. I try to restore all mailbox storages - all of them has the same problem with GRT restore.

I check Vc++ components ( i read about this in VOX KB), and everything is good. For confidence I installed them again from BackupExec.16.0.1142.1632\BE\WinNT\Install\VCRedist folder, reboot server several times (updates etc) but have no effect.

Third:

Today I try the next. I make Full backup of one of mailbox stroage. Not too big storage? one of that, which not was pointed in previously backup like "with error" and in the independent backup job. Backup job finished correctry without any errors. But when i try to restore and go step by step - i get the same error on "expand mailbox storage" step. Totally the same.

I have no idea what's wrong...

No more any advices?

Hi guys I probably found a solution myself

I write here because maybe it is someone is also useful

Because it showed an error on the mismatched cluster sizes on the SOURCE disk with data and the DESTINATION disk with Storage, I did the next

1. I took an external USB drive

2. connect it to Windows Server 2003 and format it there with 512k cluster size

3. Then I connect this disk to the Windows Server 2012R2 and point to it GRT-Folder (in Backup exec options)

4. Reboot

5. All works good. All backup tasks works without any error and I can restore mailbox content without any problem

I hope this will help someone