cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 20.1 Gold subscription Backup Capacity

mojbackupexec
Level 2

Good Day Vox Team.I have a problem with Backup Exec 20.1,whereby I had exceeded the capacity of my subscription which is 1 TB.I wanted to find out Ist possible for me to delete some backup sets/jobs and recreate them in order to reduce the backup data?Or What is the correct way of ensuring that I only have backed up jobs not beyong 1TB.Our budget cannot allow for an upgrade right now.

Your assistance is highly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is not the number of backup jobs that matter.  What matters is the amount of data to be backed up.  Suppose you have 1.2TB of data to backup.  It does not matter whether you backup this data using 1 job or 10 jobs.

Thanks for the feedback PKH,I understand that it all depend on the amount of data to backup,but in my case ist possible to delete some backup jobs and the data from BEData without affecting anything.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Deleting a job will not affect other jobs.  You don't have to delete jobs.  You can just suspend them and release them when you have up your backup quota.

I guess,my problem is not well understood.I do not have budget to extend my licence subscription to increase my capacity at all.So in this case what will be the best soution for me.I thought of deleting some jobs and its corresponding file in the BEData folder and re-schedule them selecting only the critcal folders .Will this solve my problem ?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I think the reason no one is giving you an answer is that no one knows the exact effect of what you are considering.

As such the following info is provided in a use at your own risk basis

First if you have only slightly exceeded your purchased capacity then you will get nag alerts but jobs will continue to run (and you may be able to get away with doing nothing) - if you have exceeded it by a significant amount though jobs willl stop running after a period of time.

You will probably have to expire the backup sets and delete the job histories of jobs that you are considering no longer running. if you don't remove every job history and every backup set for that job, and stop running new instances of that job (so put the jobs are on hold or delete them), then the totals may still appear in the calculation. When you expire the sets it should remove the files from BEdata for you as such you should be able to action this within the BE console. You will probably have to restart BE services (and/or wait 24 hours after taking this action to see the change in the calculation)

Have you put a financial value on the data that you will no longer back up - i.e. if you lost all that data how much would it cost the company (in mans hours and direct revenue), if that cost is greater then the PO would be then you really need to go back to whoever controls your budget and explain this.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you suspend your job, you don't have to delete its backup sets.  If you do not run the job, the amount of data that is backed up by this job would not be included in the following month's quota calculation.  This way you would at least have some backup of the data that you intend to skip.

BTW, you should NOT be deciding what data to stop backing up.  It should be your company's decision.

Hai

I had to try and see if the suggested solution works

I had expired some backup sets and deleted them from history as well as from the BEData folder .After that I created a new schedule of a new backup job selecting only the critical data from the file server, but this doesn’t even solve the problem. The licensed capacity usage space still include the deleted backup set of the old scheduled deleted job .I had restarted all services but no change.

Why is Backup Exec like this, why does it have to account for data that is not even there, just because it was backed up before and deleted it’s still part of my licensed capacity which doesn’t make sense. I don’t plan of renewing this software license because it’s horrible.