cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 20.4 now available

BackupMikko
Employee Accredited Certified

Veritas Backup Exec 20.4 is now available!

See the Backup Exec 20.4 launch blog for more details on how Backup Exec 20.4 can help you protect against Ransomware, improve virtual machine backup performance by up to 50%, get visibility into your backup environment with SmartMeter, enable SharePoint 2016 granular recovery and more!

@BackupMikko 

10 REPLIES 10

naarmstrong
Level 4

Nice! 

Noticed i can download it from vems portal.

Will it soon be available to patch directly from the Backup Exec servers "menu >installation and licencing > veritas update"?

criley
Employee Accredited

@naarmstrong 

Yes, this update is not available yet via Veritas Update. More news to come on that soon ..

criley
Employee Accredited

@naarmstrong 

I've been told that 20.4 is now available via Veritas Update.

pearsonkcc
Level 1

Is there a new agent for this version also or is it staying the same as 20.3?

@pearsonkcc

"Most" patches/updates require update of remote agents.

You can always view Release Notes/Readme etc to confirm.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100045539

JuergenB
   VIP   

Hi,

after a few weeks of testing and living with the BE 20.4 Relase i can say ..

This Releae is grap, still buggy. 
Features are not working, still the same bugs as usual.

Support has no idea, what the developers did here ..

I can also attest to it - don't install it's been nothing but horrible.  My backup server freezes or runs out of memory hard to say since support is totally clueless and not what it used to be.  Worst update in years for this product.  Pretty much made up my mind to move to Veeam after this headache.  I used to defend Backup Exec but support is atrocious and not what I was used to in the past.  Nobody wants to acknowledge or actually solve/admit that 20.4 is a POS.

BackupMikko

Hi @BlissDog and @JuergenB 

I will DM you for case numbers - I would like to review what you are seeing.

Thanks,

Mikko

its serious if you say that because i got no choice but to upgrade because i got backup jobs failing with with "0xe000fe30 - A communications failure. It says here i must patch to fix it  https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100044305

Also noticed that this new patch removes TLS which effects people running backup exec 16 or later trying to transition into a backup exec 20 server. Really bad for customers/consultants trying to upgrade.

BackupMikko

Hi @naarmstrong ,

Backup Exec 20.4 enforces the use of TLS 1.2 for enhanced security. This means that remote agents need to be updated when upgrading as described here: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100043977

This should not impact version upgrades from 16 to 20 as communication over TLS 1.2 was introduced already in Backup Exec 15 Feature Pack 1.

I will DM you to get your case details so that we can review your issue.

I'm locking this thread - please start new posts on the forum instead of replying to this one. This will make it easier for us to track separate items.

Thanks,

@BackupMikko