cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 20.5 - Moving disk storage to a subfolder

dbdan22
Level 4

Hi,

I have a Disk Storage folder with about 12 weeks of daily backup sets in it. The folder is called \BACKUPEXEC and backs up Server 1.

I'd like to create a subfolder in this folder BACKUPEXEC\SERVER1, move all the existing backup sets to this subfolder, and continue to backup SERVER1 to this subfolder, while preserving the ability to create another subfolder BACKUPEXEC\SERVER2 for a new backup job in the future.

What is the quickest and easiest way to do this? Stop the services, move the files, change the folder location, catalog/inventory, start the services?

Thanks,
Dan

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. This cannot be done.  There can only be one disk storage per volume and it has to be in the structure that BE creates.

Thank you for your reply.

Let me backtrack then. I have a Server 2008 system currently being backed up. I'm adding a Server 2016 system which will eventually replace the 2008 system. In the meantime both will run in parallel and need to be backed up. I've installed the full Backup Exec on both servers. I'd like each server to back itself up, without an agent. At some point I will remove the 2008 server and archive the last "n" backups.

What is the correct procedure for doing this? is it the case that a storage location can only be used by a single server? so if I want the backups of the two servers to be independent of each other I need 2 storage locations on 2 separate volumes?

First time for everything.

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I need 2 storage locations on 2 separate volumes?

Yes.

Hi,

So if I wanted to:

- make the new Server 2016 the primary backup server
- back up 2016 to the same storage location as 2008,
- continue to back up Server 2008 via the agent to the same location,
- while retaining the existing 2008 backups 

how would I go about doing this? Is there a documented procedure or best practices available?

Thanks.