cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 20.5 takes long tyme to back-up System Files from system?state

jd653687
Level 3

The server is a Hyper-V server with 2 VM's the VM's are backed-up with Agents.
But when I start the back-up it first back-ups the C drive the D drive and than the System?State 
When it comes to the part System Files it takes up to 3 hours an 38 minutes to back-up the System-files.
The total back-up time is up to 14 hours with verify and 600 GB of data.
Can someone explain why it takes so long for the system-files to get backed-up.
Back-up is to tape. Ultrium-6

What I did so far is chkdsk of C driver (SSD)
Update the firmware, bios and drivers for the HP ML 350 Gen10
Tried to back-up to disk same result

When I do vssadmin list writers is see some of the status is "waiting to finish"

4 REPLIES 4

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

its probably due to the number of small number of files in folders that comprise system state
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/40056030-98804569-1

Thanks for the link. Did try to increase the block size, but no effect.When I do a WIndows BAckup system state backup it takes about one houre. Backup Exec takes 3 hours and 38 minutes, See the job rate drop to 0 before it continues.

very strange.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

I think windows server backup does a block level backup. BE does a file based backup. If you would like the capability of block based, then use veritas system recovery (VSR) software. Having said  that both block based and file based have implications when it comes to storing data on dedupe. Block based may not dedupe as well as file based. so there are other pros and cons of this.
BE can do a block level backup of this server whose system state you are backing up if this is a virtual machine and you are backing it up with agent for hyper v or vmware , in which case you backup the complete VM (vmdk or vhdx) in block level which will be faster.
If this is a physical server and you are backing it up using the agent for windows, then BE would do a file based backup which can be take more time than VSR or Windows server backup. ( please keep in mind , there are other factors affecting the backup job rate as well)

Thanks. Since this is the physical server I will leave it.