cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 20 Capacity Edition

JoseGomez
Level 3

Hello

I have purchased 7 TB of Capacity Edition and intend to create a CASO environment with 1 CAS and 3 MMS.

As I really don´t know in advance how much data will be backed up by those MMS I am wondering how to distribute those 7 TB of licenses among those MMS in order to avoid any compliance issue regardin used capacity.

First of all, in this environment with 4 Backup Exec server do I need to add the 7 TB License Key to the 4 consoles? Or do a I need to generate 4 .slf and add them to each console? If so, how the 7 TB will count to each MMS?

Thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Best way is really to create split SLF files on the license portal suitable to cover each server with it's own SLF

However you can also just use the same 7TB SLF on all 4 servers but when you install specify how much of that license count to use (and then just make sure you don't allocate over 7TB in total across all servers (this method could be prone to human error later, especially if a new administrator takes over responsibility for the backup software.)

Both achieve the same thing and would meet our licensing requirements

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Gurvinder

If Backup Exec servers are being installed in multiple locations, all locations must have the same licensing edition to share one capacity entitlement. See Allocating Capacity Licensing for more information

Licensing Guide - https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/BE203_Licensing_Guide

Colin_Weaver

Best way is really to create split SLF files on the license portal suitable to cover each server with it's own SLF

However you can also just use the same 7TB SLF on all 4 servers but when you install specify how much of that license count to use (and then just make sure you don't allocate over 7TB in total across all servers (this method could be prone to human error later, especially if a new administrator takes over responsibility for the backup software.)

Both achieve the same thing and would meet our licensing requirements

Thanks Collin, glad you still in Veritas!!