cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Backup to Disk Dummy Files

jonny1972
Level 2

About a year ago I was setting up Backup Exec 2010 to backup to USB drives using Backup to Disk. I encountered a problem, the solution to which I got from (I think) a Symantec KB article which was to create empty dummy files named the same as all the other backup folders. So if my disks (and the B2D folders) were called backup1, backup2, backup3, backup4 then on the backup1 disk I created files called backup2, backup3, backup4.

I can't recall whether this was a fix for a specific issue or something that was good practice and I can't find the KB article to check. It might have had something to do with all the drives having the same fixed drive letter and needing to do this to stop Backup Exec getting confused, maybe.

Does any of this mean anything to anyone? Can anyone point me to the KB?

4 REPLIES 4

jonny1972
Level 2

My bad, just found the KB article....

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH155949

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The document is only applicable if you are rotating disks.  If you are using a single disk or not using a device pool, you don't have to create the dummy directories.

jonny1972
Level 2

I'm a bit confused as to whether this issue exists in R3. The kb articles says 2010 R2 only, but then there is no sign of it being addressed in the R3 release notes. Any ideas?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is still present in R3.