cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010, Backups of Virtual Machines failing with "A communications failure has occurred"

ahall
Level 3

Hi -

I've had this ongoing problem sense beta version of Backup Exec 2010. The machines are on a Windows 2008 R2 failover cluster using clustered shared volumes (CSV). When trying to backup my virtual machines the jobs always fail with this error

Error : e000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65072

Sometimes it'll backup half of the machines, or just one, there doesn't appear to be any set pattern for the failing job.

This is the setup -

Two Dell R710's
1 MD3000i (iSCSI storage, 7 15K 147gb SAS drives)
1 Dell PowerConnect 5424 switch

9 Virtual Machines at about 300gb total. Two LUNS (being used as CSV's), one RAID 10 and one RAID 5. 

Any ideas? 

3 REPLIES 3

bgarrigus
Level 2
I was having the EXACT same problem.  My setup is similar, with 2 Dell R610s, a Dell Equallogic 6400, and 2 powerconnect 5448 switches. 

What solved it for me was to go in to the job for the virtual machines, and on the AOFO window, do the following: 
  • Check the box to use AOFO
  • Choose "Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service(Windows 2003 and later)
  • Choose "System - Use Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" as the snapshot provider. 
After that, I haven't had any problems.  Yet.

Bob-Aces
Level 3
Partner Accredited
bgarrigus,

I'm trying your option.
I can tell you tommorrow is the problem is solved

Symanticus
Level 6
wow, what a coincidence mate,

I  also got Dell Server as follows:

2x Dell Power Edge 2950-III
1x Dell MD3000i ISCSI SAN

when I'm trying to backup a Linux VM it give me the same error message using RALUS, and then i found out that if i deselect the "soft link" or at least leave the backup options by default it works fine both backup to disk and backup to tape directly ?