cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Database backup

Steel_Rabbit
Level 2

Hello boys and girls

I have two backups that are running in backup exec 2010.

First backup is doing a full backup of  the Enterprise. Backing up around 5 servers that's including SQL 2005 Database. Second backup is doing an incremental log backup for SQL 2005 Database.

Now...the first backup is running only ones a month and the second backup is running every day.

Is this a good way to backup the databases or should I do a full backup of the database. Also, each database has a transaction logs.

Thank you for your time!

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Its always advised to do a Full backup of Database as much as possible.

I understand that you are taking a  Full backup ones in a Month and then Incremental backups everyday of the month. This setup will cause many prblem during the restore. With this setup in case of scenario if you have to restore the whole database then you will have to first restore from Full backup and then from all the Incrementals taken in order. So if your full was taken on 1st date of the month and if the need arises to restore the database on 29th day of the month then you will have to restore the full and 28 Incremental. The problem here could be that even if one Incremental is bad or corrupted then you will not be able to restore further.

So my suggesttion would be that, If you have enough space then take a Full  backup of database everyday. If there is limitation od space then atleast take a Full database backup ones in a week and Incremental throught the week.

Hope the explanation is clear... !!!

Thanks,

-Sush...

Steel_Rabbit
Level 2

Hello Sush...

Thanks for the heads up.

There is no space issue however we do have a time issue. Full backup takes about 15 hours to complete.

Regards

Steel Rabbit

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

So even in the case od Time issue, you can take a Full backup ones in a week (usually weekends) and then take Incremenal backups throughout the week.

Thanks,

-Sush...