Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Desktop and Laptop Option

kmouline
Level 3
Partner

Hello Folks,

I want to install DLO on some desktop, my question : is it mandatory to have a Windows domain where the BE server and the Desktops are associated in order to use DLO ?

Many thanks,

Kamal

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Well you can still backup the clients using DLO even if you dont have a Windows domain

Please refer the following dcoument

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH57327

kmouline
Level 3
Partner

After reading the document the media server (BE Server) have to be on a Windows domain, the issue here is that on this case there are no Windows domain !!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

This would be an issue in this case as the Media server should be in Domain ...for the DLo to work ...

rickbb
Level 2

I have used BE with DLO since version 8 or so and we have only had a Windows Domain, (I assume you mean an Active Directory domain), for the past year. All the users and the media server were located on the same network and work group and DLO ran fine.

You do have to rely on the users to log into the Media Server manually though, this was the hardest part to keep going. Anytime a PC was rebooted the user had to log in the DLO client or backups would not happen.

With a AD domain you don't have to worry so much about this as the user DLO agent is automatically logged on to the Media Server when they log on to the domain.