cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Disaster recovery

zoetaite
Level 4

Hello...just wondering if I could get a little clarity around BE 2010 as it relates to DR. I come from the world of Tivoli where the system would backup the database on a nightly issue. If there was ever a problem with the Tivoli server or we would have to test our DR plan offsite we would use this DB media to re-build the entire server. I was wondering if there were similar steps that need to be followed to re-build a BE 2010 server? I know the database is backed up in the follwoing location: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data.

Basically what steps have to be taken if the BE 2010 server dies - how can functionality be restored, so we could start restoring data in case of DR

I read the following article on how to move an instance of BE to another server: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768

Thank you

ZT

10 REPLIES 10

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You need to read through the Admin Guide, especially the sections on

Preparing for Disaster Recovery and Disaster Recovery

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

If you want to rebuild BE2010 after disaster then you just need the DATA & CATALOGS folder.

The DATA folder has the DB files (BEDB_DAT.MDF & BEDB_LOG.LDF) which stores all the

jobs, media set and policies. The catalogs folder stores the catalogs generated during the

backups. Apart from the these folders you will also need the media where you have taken  the

backups (tape or disk)

zoetaite
Level 4

So, basically I should create a script that copies the 'DATA' & 'CATALOG' folders to a different area. Do any of the BE services need to be stopped for this data to be copied over?

ZT

AmolB

Without stopping the SQL server BKUPEXEC service you will not be able to copy the DATA folder.

Once you stop the above service all the BE services will be stopped.

zoetaite
Level 4

You would think Symantec would have somethng in place that would allow some sort of media to be created that would contain this data that you could send offsite in the case of a disaster.

ZT

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

All you really need from the \DATA foldder is the BEDB.BAK file (created automatically every day at 0400, unless you change the time). 

You can recover your database from that using BEUTIL on the rebuilt server. 

zoetaite
Level 4

Ken,

Is there any reference material on how to restore the .BAK file using BEUTIL?

Thanx

ZT

AmolB

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67962

Kate_Lewis
Level 3
Employee Accredited

We also have an image-based backup and recovery product at Symantec called Symantec System Recovery. It makes an entire copy of the system, which can be restored in seconds in the case of a system failure. You can recover a complete system to bare metal, dissimilar hardware, remote locations or virtual environments. In addition, Symantec system recovery can restore individual files and folder, granular items as well as complete systems including desktop/laptops, windows and Linux servers or virtual machines.

You can use Symantec system recovery as an extra layer of protection alongside Backup Exec or use it as a stand alone solution. For more information, visit: www.symantecsystemrecovery.com

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are restoring to similar hardware, you can automate the restore of the media server with IDR.  Once you activate IDR, BE will create .dr files after each backup.  You would use these .dr files to create a bootable CD.  When you need to restore the media server, you boot up with the IDR bootable CD and it will do the restore for you.  You can read the IDR chapter in the Admin Guide.