cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 - Error 1920.Service postgresql-8.3 failed to start.

nmowatt
Level 2
I am trying to install the updated device drivers for Backup Exec 2010.  It is update 348315 for x64bit.  It is running on a Windows 2008 R2 server that has been completely updated.  It has a prerequisite of 348284.  When I try to run 348284, it appears to be installing correctly then I get an error when it is trying to start a service. 

The error is:

Symantec Backup Exec Installer Information
Error 1920.Service postgresql-8.3 (postgresql-8.3)
failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient
privileges to start system services.

I have Retry and Cancel.  I have no choice but to hit cancel and it rolls back the installation and will not install.  I am logged in as the domain Administrator and have full access to the PC.  I have completely uninstalled Backup Exec and reinstalled with it doing the same thing.  I've downloaded all other updates via Live Update without any problems.  I tried using a different account for the postgresql-8.3 service with no success.

Not sure what to do at this point and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

NMowatt
8 REPLIES 8

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Go to the Properties of the Symantec Folder. (X:\Program Files\Symantec. X being the Drive where the Remote Agent file are installed.) On the Security Tab Click on Advanced and add the Backup Exec Account. Assign Full Control to the Account.

nmowatt
Level 2
Well, I gave full control to the Backup account, the Domain Admin accout, and the Administrator account.  Still, no go. 

I did notice something when looking at the service.

"C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\pddb\bin\pg_ctl.exe" C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bin/pg_ctl.exe runservice -N postgresql-8.3

Is it normal for the slash after bin to be a foward slash rather than a back slash?

nmowatt
Level 2

Hmmm, looking at the service -

"C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\pddb\bin\pg_ctl.exe" C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bin/pg_ctl.exe runservice -N postgresql-8.3

Shouldn't it read

"C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\pddb\bin\pg_ctl.exe" C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\pddb\bin/pg_ctl.exe runservice -N postgresql-8.3

Please note what I bolded.  The bin folder is not directly under the Backup Exec folder, rather it is under the pddb folder.  It will not let me edit it under the service, so I am assuming I'll have to change that in the regisry?

UPDATE:

I went ahead and tried adding the correct path as well as changing the slashes around.  Still no go.  I'm at a loss at this point.

nmowatt
Level 2
Not sure if this helps..  It seems to be a problem with the the command.  This is what is in the error logs.  I first get an error that states:

The description for Event ID 0 from source PostgreSQL cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

pg_ctl: unrecognized operation mode "C:\Program"

Then the second error is:

The description for Event ID 0 from source PostgreSQL cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

Try "pg_ctl --help" for more information.

tsvare
Level 2
Employee
Hello,

If you have the deduplication option installed either through licensing or eval you will run into this issue if the dedup device has not been configured.

Regis_Pedros
Level 2

I'm trying to configure a dedup device (dedicated, formated local hard drive on my server BE 2010 R2).

The step collecting datas last a while, but at the end error message "an error hapened during the creation of the deduplication folder ..."

When I check the event viewer, same topic error every time my dedup configuration failed :

"Description:

2010-11-11 15:55:42 CET PANIC:  n'a pas pu ouvrir le fichier de contrôle « global/pg_control » : Permission denied"

I'm running Windows Server 2008 r2

Someone can help me ?

Michael_SVA
Not applicable

Install this Hotfix for 2010 R2:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH138226

I had the same problem.

Regards Michael

Naples96
Level 2

Michael,

Thanks for the info. I was having the same problem and the hotfix resolved the issue.