cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Error "There is not enough disk space"

SuzanNmx
Level 2

Hello

I am running Backup Exec 2010 R3 on Windows Server 2003 R2.

For the past 2 weeks, I've had the following repeated failure message on some backup jobs:

Storage device "Windows Full" reported an error on a request to write data to media. Error reported: There is not enough space on the disk. V-79-57344-34034 - An attempt to write data past the end of the media has failed.

This and a few other backup jobs are backing up to a 1 TB local disk on the same server on which Backup Exec is running. These backup jobs have been running successfully for the last few years but now lately the backup disk is becoming full and some jobs are failing. No configuration changes have been made. I do see that backups from a 3 or 4 days ago are still present. By deleting them, the jobs continue.

I must add that all of these backup jobs were created about 4 years ago by my predecessor and I have newly taken over these responsibilities. Backup Exec is very new to me and I have a few questions:

1. I would assume that the backup jobs where the data is written to hard disk are configured such that older backed files are purged automatically: is this correct? How do I determine this in the backup job's setup?

2. I have checked the Job Setup for each of the different backup jobs and I cannot see anything which indicates that a particular backup job is backing up to a hard disk instead of to a tape. How do I determine whether data is being backed up to hard disk or to tape?

3. I think that Catalogs are part of the backup process to hard disk process. I see that there are files in the ...\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs\BackUpServer folder dating back to 2009. Are these old files necessary? I would think that Backup Exec would automatically purge old unnecessary catalog files: is this correct, or do they need to be purged manually? Or should they not be purged at all?

Thank you for your help. Yes, I know I need to read the user guide but it's over 1200 pages long and I need to get this issue resolved before I focus on training.

Best regards,

Suzan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1. I would assume that the backup jobs where the data is written to hard disk are configured such that older backed files are purged automatically: is this correct? How do I determine this in the backup job's setup?

Purging will depend on the Overwrite Protection Period set in the media set assigned to the backup.

Once the overwrite protection period ends the backup sets are eligible for being overwritten.

When backups are targeted to a disk than its recommended to configure jobs to overwrite instead

of appending.So check the backup job properties for the above setting. 

Also make sure below configuration is in place. In BE console, click on Tools -> Options ->

Media Management -> Overwrite Protection Level is set as "Partial" and Select " Use recycable

media before using scratch media"

I have checked the Job Setup for each of the different backup jobs and I cannot see anything which indicates that a particular backup job is backing up to a hard disk instead of to a tape. How do I determine whether data is being backed up to hard disk or to tape?

Open Backup Job and click on the Devices option on the left pane, on the right hand side of the 

screen you see the device where the backups are targeted. Also you can open job log (backup which

are already completed) to find the device that was used for backups.

3. I think that Catalogs are part of the backup process to hard disk process. I see that there are files in the ...\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs\BackUpServer folder dating back to 2009. Are these old files necessary? I would think that Backup Exec would automatically purge old unnecessary catalog files: is this correct, or do they need to be purged manually? Or should they not be purged at all?

Whatever you see in the restore window is due to Catalogs, you cannot restore any data without

the catalogs files. These files are generated by the backup jobs. You can change the retention 

period of catalogs by clicking on Tools -> Options -> Catalogs

For Truncating catalogs, refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH7297

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Purging will depend on the Overwrite Protection Period set in the media set assigned to the backup.

Once the overwrite protection period ends the backup sets are eligible for being overwritten.

When backups are targeted to a disk than its recommended to configure jobs to overwrite instead

of appending.So check the backup job properties for the above setting. 

Also make sure below configuration is in place. In BE console, click on Tools -> Options ->

Media Management -> Overwrite Protection Level is set as "Partial" and Select " Use recycable

media before using scratch media"

I have checked the Job Setup for each of the different backup jobs and I cannot see anything which indicates that a particular backup job is backing up to a hard disk instead of to a tape. How do I determine whether data is being backed up to hard disk or to tape?

Open Backup Job and click on the Devices option on the left pane, on the right hand side of the 

screen you see the device where the backups are targeted. Also you can open job log (backup which

are already completed) to find the device that was used for backups.

Whatever you see in the restore window is due to Catalogs, you cannot restore any data without

the catalogs files. These files are generated by the backup jobs. You can change the retention 

period of catalogs by clicking on Tools -> Options -> Catalogs

For Truncating catalogs, refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH7297

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Regarding your catalogs, catalogs are automatically purged when the backup set is overwritten.  If you want to truncate your catalogs as previously advised, the truncation will take effect for catalogs created after the truncation period is set.  The truncation will not be done for existing catalogs.  If you truncate your catalogs, then you would have to catalog your media before you can restore them.

For your B2D folder, I would recommend that you set a low disk space threshold.  On the Device tab, right-click on your B2D folder and click on the Advanced tab.

When a job hit this threshold, you would have a chance to delete some files on your disk so that the job can proceed to completion.  Without this threshold, your job will fail when the disk is full.  Ignore the red circle unless you want to set up disk spanning.

Do check all your disk jobs and make sure that they specify overwrite and not append.  There is no advantage in appending to disk media and append prolongs the protection period.

SuzanNmx
Level 2

Hi AmolZeroCool

Thanks very much for your clear explainations; with your help I could see where there was a configuration error in my setup.

Cheers,

Suzan

vietdungcb
Level 3

Dear Supports,
Our company is currently using Veritas Backup Exe software because of its friendly interface, ease of use and timely support from you. We are very confident because of the good operation of this software, no longer have to worry about backing up and restoring user data.
There is only one problem that we can't fix. We look forward to your support. That is when we use Disk Tape, the software can't get its full capacity, but only gets half of it. Daily backup disks we have 700GB get just over 300GB, monthly backup disks with more than 1.4TB get just over 700GB. We look forward to receiving your support, we sincerely thank you.

Best regards,

Vietdungcb