cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 & Exchange 2003

GavinT
Level 3
Hi,

We are currently trialling Backup Exec 2010 having previously used BE 12.5.
Since the upgrade (incl agents on servers) the Exchange 2003 GRT backups have been running v.slowly when backing up the exchnage storage groups, typically sitting around 100MB/Min when previously we had speeds of around 1700MB/Min.

We are using exactly the same job setup/options and same storage media (local SATA disk array, in Raid 5).

All other backups i.e. SQL & FIle system are running at normal speeds.

Have tried restarting exchange servers (in cluster setup) and checked agents are ok but unable to find any cause of this.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as we need to backup 330GB of data and at 100MB/Min is not acceptable.

Thanks in advance

Gavin 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GavinT
Level 3
Just to provide an update.
I have been testing BE 12.5 & 2010 performance across  a few PCs and found the problem to be caused by running BE2010 on a guest OS within ESX 3.5, not sure if this was an ESX 3.5 configuration issue or something else but have now upgraded to ESX 4.0 and seem to be ok.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Gavin,

If the Exchange server is a RAWS backup, did you push out the BEWS 2010 agent to that server?

GavinT
Level 3
Not sure what the alternative to RAWS is but we manually installed the RAWS agent and have restarted the server.
During backup we tried monitoring network traffic along with disk & memory usage but couldn't find any 'bottle necks' that would be causing this problem.

BE 2010 is currently on a Win2003 server and I'm currently preparing a Win2008 server to take over as we will be migrating to Exchange 2010 (hence the need for BE 2010) and Win2008 seems to be a requirement for that.
So maybe just changing server may kick BE back into action...

GavinT
Level 3

GavinT
Level 3
Just to provide an update.
I have been testing BE 12.5 & 2010 performance across  a few PCs and found the problem to be caused by running BE2010 on a guest OS within ESX 3.5, not sure if this was an ESX 3.5 configuration issue or something else but have now upgraded to ESX 4.0 and seem to be ok.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Cool man, glad you came right here!