cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 & Exchange 2010

MattWin
Level 3

I have a question concerning backing up Exchange 2010 with Backup Exec 2010.  Currently we are using Backup Exec 12.5 with a Quantum SuperLoader 3 thru an scsi connection.  We are preparing to upgrade from Exchange 2003 to 2010 and Exec 12.5 to 2010 within the next couple of months. 

I have read that Windows server 2008 does not work well with scsi connections as opposed to SAS connections and my Quantum SuperLoader can only connect thru scsi.  Does Backup Exec 2010 have to be installed on 2008 R2 server or can I install it on 2003 R2 server and it will backup Exchange 2010?  Replacing the autoloader is not an option at this time.  Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Matt,

Not sure where you saw that Windows Server 2008 doesn't work well with SCSI, but I don't have an issue. I haven't seen any sort of performance impact. I HAVE seen a problem backing up the registry of a Win2K8 server, but this seems to be a Microsoft issue with the way the registry is designed in Win2K8.

Can you find that info and maybe post it here? From my side, I don't see any reason why SCSI would now become a problem in Win2K8...there are many reasons for still using SCSI, and it will be around for years to come.

Laters!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Yes to backup exchange 2010 you must have BE 2010 or BE 2010 r2 so I would recommend installing BE 2010 r2 with sp1

Now about exchange 2010 there are some prerequisites

1 You should have OS which is win2008 standar /enterprise sp2 or win2008 r2 so yes win2008 r2 will be good option to install BE 2010 r2 s(win2003 will not be supported to backup exchange 2010)

2 You should have server which is 64 bit so 32 bit OS is not supported

I beleive this has answered all your question

Please mark the post solved if this helps

Thank You

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The reason why your media server needs to be 64-bits is that you need to load the Exchange Server Management Tool on the media server to backup Exchange 2010 and there is no 32-bit version of this tool for Exchange 2010.

CraigV

Hi Matt,

Not sure where you saw that Windows Server 2008 doesn't work well with SCSI, but I don't have an issue. I haven't seen any sort of performance impact. I HAVE seen a problem backing up the registry of a Win2K8 server, but this seems to be a Microsoft issue with the way the registry is designed in Win2K8.

Can you find that info and maybe post it here? From my side, I don't see any reason why SCSI would now become a problem in Win2K8...there are many reasons for still using SCSI, and it will be around for years to come.

Laters!

MattWin
Level 3

Thanks for the responses. 

Craig,

I was getting ready to upgrade  to Backup Exec 2010 on one of our 2008 r2 servers when I found out that SCSI card that we currently had would not fit.  Needed to be a PCI E.  I started searching for the card so I could order it and continue with the upgrade.  I came across this discussion where a user was having problems.  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/p/19349996/19763396.aspx

After reading this, I decided to find out more and what alternatives there may be.  I know that it has be on a 64 bit machine because of exchange but does it have to be Server 2008 or can it be 2003 64bit server? 

If it works for you without a problem then I feel easier about it but I want to have a backup (excuse the pun) plan.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

As per the recommendation it has to be win2008 standard /enterprise sp2 or win2008 so win2003 64 bit won't be supported configuration

I believe this helps you

Please mark this post if this resolves the issue

Keep Posted

Thank You

CraigV

Hi Matt,

Best bet is to always check the SCL for your version. It states there that Windows Server 2003 x64 is not a supported configuration.

Pity...would have made my life a lot easier, that's for certain!