Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Family (BE,BESR2010) "Project "Project Plan"

FZ2H
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Dear All,

I have a Backup Exec Family project "Upgrade from BE12.5 to BE2010"  My Customer ask for the below...

- Project Plan "i dont know how to create it"

- Implementation Plan and 

- Project Prequest and question for the product 

- Backup Strategy for Microsoft Active directy,Web server and Exchange Server

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

1. Project Plan - How are you going to install BE 2010 R2? What are you backing up (Exchange 2003/2010; Lotus Notes etc). If Exchange 2010 for example, your media server MUST be Server 2008 R2 x64. How do you want to do your backups? To disk first then tape? Straight to tape? Deduplication? How long will it take? Is it a straight installation, or an upgrade? That is what you need to define in your project plan...

2. Implementation Plan - this will be dependent on what you define above. If you have a stand-alone media server, there is no impact during restarts after installing BE and updating it. Pushing out RAWS agents to the remote servers MIGHT lead to server restarts.

3. No idea what you mean here...if you go to www.backupexec.com you can find a trial edition of BE 2010 R2 (60 days), which you can download and install. However, you need to contact Symantec licensing to get the appropriate licenses.

4. Backup strategy? What do you want to do? How long do you want to keep backups for? What are you backing up too? How large will the backups be? <-- can you see the sort of questions you should really be asking here?

Get hold of the BE 2010 R2 SCL/HCL as mentioned by AmolZeroCool. These will give you the requirements for backing up specific application versions, and you NEED to stick to these. Downloading and reading up on the relevant sections of the BE 2010 R2 Admin Guide will also help.

If you have any questions, you need to ask them specifically. The idea here is to help you, not do the entire project plan for you on a thumb-suck. My suggestion is to go back, read this post, and come back with some relevant queries that can be of assitance to you!

Cheers...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Omar

Answer to the Project and Implementation plan will depend on your environment.

For Project Pre-requisite I would suggest you to go through the Hardware & Software 

compatibility list of BE2010.

HCL  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137050

SCL  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682

For Backup Stratery refer to the best practice link

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126401 

FZ2H
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes i know but i need headline and some QA can help 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

1. Project Plan - How are you going to install BE 2010 R2? What are you backing up (Exchange 2003/2010; Lotus Notes etc). If Exchange 2010 for example, your media server MUST be Server 2008 R2 x64. How do you want to do your backups? To disk first then tape? Straight to tape? Deduplication? How long will it take? Is it a straight installation, or an upgrade? That is what you need to define in your project plan...

2. Implementation Plan - this will be dependent on what you define above. If you have a stand-alone media server, there is no impact during restarts after installing BE and updating it. Pushing out RAWS agents to the remote servers MIGHT lead to server restarts.

3. No idea what you mean here...if you go to www.backupexec.com you can find a trial edition of BE 2010 R2 (60 days), which you can download and install. However, you need to contact Symantec licensing to get the appropriate licenses.

4. Backup strategy? What do you want to do? How long do you want to keep backups for? What are you backing up too? How large will the backups be? <-- can you see the sort of questions you should really be asking here?

Get hold of the BE 2010 R2 SCL/HCL as mentioned by AmolZeroCool. These will give you the requirements for backing up specific application versions, and you NEED to stick to these. Downloading and reading up on the relevant sections of the BE 2010 R2 Admin Guide will also help.

If you have any questions, you need to ask them specifically. The idea here is to help you, not do the entire project plan for you on a thumb-suck. My suggestion is to go back, read this post, and come back with some relevant queries that can be of assitance to you!

Cheers...

FZ2H
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Dear All,

any questionnaire for backup exec 2010 and Backup exec system recvoery 2010