cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Hotfix update

jazzdorson
Level 3

Hi,

We want to apply Hotfix for Backup Exec 2010 (Hotfix 180429).

Our question is :

- Do we also need to update all the Remote Agents ?

- What will happen if we do not update the remote agents ?

- Will Remote Agent installation need a reboot ?

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance,

Jatin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Best practice is to always push-install updates to remote servers once the media server is updated.

So yes, update your remote servers.

Nothing will happen if you don't update your remote servers, but the patch applied to the media server might actually fix something on 1 of them.

As for a reboot, you might need to reboot, so plan accordingly.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Best practice is to always push-install updates to remote servers once the media server is updated.

So yes, update your remote servers.

Nothing will happen if you don't update your remote servers, but the patch applied to the media server might actually fix something on 1 of them.

As for a reboot, you might need to reboot, so plan accordingly.

Thanks!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Push install the remote agent to all the remote servers after successfully installing the hotfix on backup server. If you do not install the updates agent, any issues resolved with the hotfix might still occur. And an exception "remote agent is not at the same level as media server" might come in job log. I don't thinkn any restart is required for updating remote agent.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I just checked the technote of that HF release http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180429

and found that many issues resolved in this HF are of Exchange and couple of them are of SQL.

So I would recommend that after installing the HF, push install the Remote agent again to Exchange and SQL server in your environment (if any).

Usually installation of HF does not require a reboot, but if previous reboot is pending and rerboot flag is set then you will have to reboot the server.

You can reboot the server later too after taking downtime.

Thanks,
-Sush...