cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Hyper-V GRT warning and licencing questions

rubberdown
Level 3
Hi,

We have a Media server installed with Backup Exec 2010 on Microsoft Hyper-V. VM backups are done on multiple machines (mostly Microsoft VM with 1 linux machine). We have purchased the Agent for Microsoft Hyper-V to do multiple VM backups live.

1) We are getting GRT warnings like below on each VM backed up:
V-79-57344-38726 - Backup Exec failed to connect to virtual machine '[VM name]' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.
This link suggests that I need to install Remote Agent for Windows Servers on the guest VM. Would that be an additional licence for each SQL/Exchange/AD VM we have? Do I have the required licence (as below)?

2) We have a Linux machine which would not backup live as it requires that the file be 'saved' -
i.e. V-79-40960-38467 - Virtual machine "[VM name]" has been excluded from the backup because it must be put in a saved state to back up.
Is there a way we can backup this machine "Live"? (we don't require individual file restores, a VM restore is fine)

Thanks for any help on the above questions.

Licence we presently have:
1 x Media licence for Backup Exec 2010
1 x Microsoft Hyper-V agent licence
1 x Agent for MSFT AD Windows per DC
2 x Agent for Windows Systems win per Server bndl
1 x Agent for MSFT Exchange Windows per Server bndl
1 x Agent for MSFT SQL Windows per server bndl

4 REPLIES 4

LL_CooL_Gee
Level 3
Partner

1 x Media licence for Backup Exec 2010 - enables you to back up the main server if you have multiple server you need Remote Agent
1 x Microsoft Hyper-V agent - enables you to back up unlimited virtual machines
1 x Agent for MSFT Exchange Windows - enables you to back up MSFT Exchange Server; 1 license per server
1 x Agent for MSFT SQL Windows - enables you to back up MSFT SQL ; 1 license per server
2 x Agent for Windows Systems - allows you to back up 2 additional remote server
1 x Agent for MSFT AD Windows - allows you to back up MSFT AD; 1 license per Domain Controller

I'm guessing that you are missing remote agent license but I'm not very sure. You can contact Sales department to determine what's missing in your licensing. You can contact them at 1 800 745 6054.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello there,
1)
   Irrespective of the SQL server to be physical or on virtual server, you will require equal number of License keys as the number of SQL installation that you are backing. So if you have 2 servers (or VMs) which has SQL installed on it and if you would like to backup that SQL databases then you will require 2 Licenses of Microsoft SQL Agent.
    If the SQL installation is on a Virtual machine then you will require the SQL Agent license only if you are going to use the Application GRT option. To use the Application GRT option you will require to install the Remote Agent on that particular VM. This Remote agent License need not be purchased as it will be included in the SQL Agent license.
   So if you have 3 VM having SQL on it an if you would like to take the Application GRT backups so that individual SQL databases can be restored from the Virtual Machine backups then you will require 3 SQL Agent Licenses.

For more information on Licenses refer to " http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/346039.htm " . In this article take a look at page no. 8, 9 , 10 to know more about Virtualisation License and Application GRT licensing.

2)
For the second query you can refer to the technote " http://support.veritas.com/docs/312372 ".
AS per the technote you will have to Uncheck the option for Exclude virtual machines that must be put in a saved state to back up and run the backups

3)
With the Licenses that you already have you will be able to :
a) Licenses Media server

b) Backup number of Virtual Machines hosted on 1 Hyper-V host

c) Backup Active Directory using this license which gives you the functionality to backup the GRT of AD.

d) With 2 Remote Agent Licenses you can backup two remote servers

e) With Exchange agent license you can backup Exchange Information Store. Install RAWS on the VM to take the Application GRT backups of Exchange if Exchange is installed on VM

f) With SQL agent license you can backup SQL Databases. Install RAWS on the VM to take the Application GRT backups of SQL if SQL  is installed on VM

rubberdown
Level 3
Thanks for the replies Sush and Horhe!!

Sush,

Regards to (2) : I do not want to exclude the Linux machine from backing up. I actually DO want to back it up. But it does not have to be GRT enabled. How would I be able to back it up without putting it into a saved state?

Thanks!!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello Rubberdown,
     You can create a seperate backup job in which only the VM which has Linux operating System can be selected. Also in this new job you will have to disable the GRT option as GRT is not supported for non-Windows OS as per the technote " http://support.veritas.com/docs/351537 "