cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Hyper-V Selection List

nbissette
Not applicable

When I try to create a selection list that includes virtual machines on a 2008 R2 cluster, it does not list the virtual machines running on the nodes.  I have installed the remote agent onto the Hyper-V nodes.

Any Ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

ahall
Level 3
I noticed you have to browse to the cluster in the "Windows Systems" in order to get your VM's on the cluster.  

I'm curious if you're able to get them backed up. My jobs keep failing.

hiker_42
Level 3

Ahall,

Have you been able to get this to work? My backups fail as well trying to backup the VM's on the Hyper-V cluster as well.

ahall
Level 3

What error are you receiving?

Things to make sure of -
  • You media server is using the correct IP address to the cluster - for me this was the "public parition" network.
    I have 2 interface that both have could automatically be registered in the DNS. One is the "public partition" (static) the other is dedicated for the VM's (dynamic). The interface being dedicated for the VM network should not be registering itself in DNS
  • Make sure you only have one DNS registration and it is the correct IP. Ping the nodes and verify the media server is using the correct IP's.
  • Disable IPv6
  • Make sure you media server is using the correct interface in the job. Look in the network and security section. Specify correct interface and subnet.
Even with all of this, I'm still running into problems. As a test, I installed media server on one of the nodes, this worked fine. Made the changes above, then the other media server started working. Uninstalled the test media server on the cluster node, jobs begin failing with - e000ff18 - A communications failure has occurred with a Virtual Machine resource.

Still trouble shooting right now. Sometimes when I run a job it doesn't fail, it just stalls. I have to restart the backup exec services and then go the cluster node and delete backup snapshots using -

diskshadow
delete snaphots all.

Otherwise, each of the CSV's will be in redirected access. Doing "delete snapshots all" will make them online and clear the backup state. Before learning about the delete snapshots all, I tried just restarting one of the nodes. The node failed to restart, and had to be forcefully shut down. This then caused the other node to fail at the same time! If you virtualized your DC's you're screwed here. The cluster service will not start without at least one working DNS server. And if you are running CSV's, you won't have access to them unless the clustering service is running. ARGHHH! This was a very bad day! Though I did have a 3rd DC off site, installed DNS and everything started working again.