cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Issues connecting to network drive without password

synbios1978
Level 2
I have been using Backup Exec 8.5 for the past year or two now and it's worked wonderfully.  I work at a small company where we backup ~10-12 computers to a network share.  It is shared from a mac and we have it setup with guest access to keep permission issues to a minimum while we password protect the backup files themselves.  In version 8.5 this isn't a problem as we point it to the share path and tell it to use the username "guest" with no password.  However, I just got a Windows 7 pc in, and I'm trying to setup the demo of Backup Exec 2010 to ensure there will be no problems with it, and when I go to connect to the network share, it's requiring I have a password to connect to a network drive.  Is there anyway to get around this??  

Thanks!!
7 REPLIES 7

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Are you trying to connect to the network share with Win 7 or BE 2010?  Also, Win 7 is not a supported OS to install BE2010 on, you'll need to install it on a 2003 server, 2008 server, or Windows XP Professional (SP2 or 3).

synbios1978
Level 2
Ben,

Thanks for the response.  I'm using the Desktop Edition which according to the compatibility list is supported on Windows 7.  I can connect to the network share through Windows without an issue, but when I try to do it through BEDE 2010, I navigate to the network path "//Macserver/drivename/foldername", it requires a username/password to continue to the next screen.

Thanks!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Are you using Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 (BESR) or Backup Exec for Windows Servers 2010 (BEWS)?  BESR 2010 is supported on Windows 7, but BEWS is not.

synbios1978
Level 2
BESR2010.  Sorry, I should have been more clear in my post.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 So when you setup your job properties in BESR, for any network path, you MUST supply credentials to authenticate to the network share to gain read/write access.  There really isnt a way around this.

Just create a new user account on the hosting server, and use that as a generic service account that can write to the directory in question.  

synbios1978
Level 2
Thanks for the info, that seems to work perfectly!!!  I don't know why they added this into the new version, but oh well, it works fine now.

Thanks again!!!

kqf_chris
Level 4
I would like to further add to this question, I have been using BESR 2010 on all of my XP/2003 servers and never had to put in a username/password to save files to the network. The computer just connects to the fileserver and uses the COMPUTER$ account. I installed BESR 2010 on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine and am now forced to provide login info. I already have all my security setup on the fileserver to work with the COMPUTER$ accounts of each PC. How can I force BESR to use the computer's account for network access?