cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - 2010 Library Expansion Option Violation.

Miikey87
Level 2

Good morning,

We have a Backup 2010 server with an IBM ULT3850 tape device.

Recently we have been receiving the following message: Library Expansion Option Violation.
This server is licensed to support 0 tape drives in robotic libraries. However, the number of tape drives currently in use exceeds the license. You must purchase additional Library Expansion Options, or disable 1 tape drive. Please refer to product documentation for more information.

I have been trying to find further documentation to find out why this has started all of a sudden without changes to the hardware as I would like to know if this license is required or something else is conflicting with the system? I am a bit unclear on this and further ivnestigation has not revealed to much.

If someone could guide me in the right direction, this would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Michael

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

With Backup exec you can use 1 drive in the robotic library without any licenses, If you want to use more than one drive each dirve would need a  library expansion license (LEO).

Make sure you have adequate license installed if you are using more than 1 drive . If you have the license already installed, Try removing the license and adding the same license again . Let me know if that helps

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I get that error sometimes on sites with a single drive in an autoloader.

I either ignore them, or make sure that the LEO license hasn't been trialled and is expired.

Miikey87
Level 2

Thanks for the replied :)

LEO license definately hasnt been trialed and yep, it is a single drive in an autoloader.

Very odd that it had been running fine for many months with no issues, then all of a suden, every hour on the dot for 2 days the same message would appear!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello 

This is a known issue with BE2010, please refer to the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129085

I will let you know if there is any fix for the error.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...just restart the services and see what it does. It should clear things up.

Miikey87
Level 2

Thanks for all of your help so far, we will test and report back!